• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailon1
    • Aug 2017

Tube Nut 1/8 needed part # 288550

Greetings,

One of the tube nuts on the carb pick up tube is stripped. If anyone has suggestions for repair or replace I would appreciate the info. The pickup tube is brass, I believe, and runs from bottom of carb to the intake-tube is approximately 9 in long. I may need to purchase the pickup tube assembly which includes the tube and 2, 1/8 in nuts. 288549

Thanks,

Bo
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

That should be a hardware store item. or you could switch to compression fittings which at our operating pressures will be just fine.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

A complete replacement is available from Moyer Marine.

If you're looking for just the nut, McMaster-Carr has them. Search for "1/8" flare nut". However, if going that way there are other considerations. For example:
      1. If the flare nut is stripped, what about the condition of the male flare fitting it threads onto?
      2. You'll have to cut the 1/8" copper tube to remove the old nut and install the new one and the tube re-flared. By then the tube may (read: will likely) be too short to reach between the manifold and the carburetor and you'll be searching for 1/8" copper tubing and if you find it, the minimum length might be laughable.
      3. Finding a flaring tool for 1/8" tube may be challenging. The smallest size on mine is 3/16".
      4. Do not be tempted to use a larger tube as a work-around for the foregoing. The scavenge tube is a designed and tolerable manifold vacuum leak managed by the very small diameter.

All of which is solved with a few mouse clicks on the MMI site and it's delivered to your door.
      Last edited by ndutton; 01-30-2024, 01:08 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Sailon1
        • Aug 2017

Thank you for the detailed advice. MM sent me replacement info-aftermarket parts-and I will order the tube system including the nuts. Yes, cutting and flaring could cause more issues.
        Thanks again,
        Bo

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I never could find those small fittings locally, I got mine from MM. I have the PCV valve on now and that kit came some extra fittings too.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Sailon1 View Post
            Thank you for the detailed advice. MM sent me replacement info-aftermarket parts-and I will order the tube system including the nuts. Yes, cutting and flaring could cause more issues.
            Thanks again,
            Bo
            I think you made the right decision.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
            X