• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

New MMI "Tartan" SS Standpipe install

Just finished the installation of the Moyer Standpipe for Tartans. It fits like a glove and is a wonderful improvement to the old system. Here are a few pictures of the "before" and "after."

BEFORE

I'm still not exactly sure what this was... kind of a vented loop and second water injection point. Weird, whatever it was.

This is the old waterlift. Yeah, I know... pretty sad.

Collapsed exhaust hose.

AFTER

The new MMI Tartan Standpipe! This actually installs very nicely inside a chase in the head. I have the cover removed so you can see the standpipe. Thanks to Don and his crew for a superb product!
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Tom, looks great!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Can't tell you how much I like that MMI Tartan standpipe!

I wanted to install the Tartan stand pipe in my vessel immediately aft of the manifold outlet - install a S/S branch Tee on the outlet and plumb it out of either side of the boat ala "North Sea" rig.

Didn't have the room to rig the set up and have gone with the MMI S/S waterlift plumbed in the transom instead.

Comment

• TomG
        Afourian MVP Emeritus
        • Nov 2010

Shawn,

Thanks, man. Coming from you, that means a lot!

Corvette,

I'm sure you'll be happy with the MMI waterlift! It just so happens that the Tartan 30s (and 34s) have the engine mounted right over the keel. I think the original design had a standpipe but over time waterlifts took over. Because the engine sits so low in the T30s, there is very little drop from the manifold to the waterlift so water intrusion into the exhaust is quite an issue. The standpipe eliminates that whole problem and actually returns to the original design. I can't wait to fire up the mighty MMI rebuilt A-4 and see how things go!
        Tom
        "Patina"
        1977 Tartan 30

Comment

• cometchamp@comcast.net
          • Oct 2011

exaust

That looks real nice, I don't know which I have yet hav not investigated as of yet, but I am going up tommorow and will try to take some photos of the engine and exaust , never had a inboard boat engine not yet sure how the exaust works. I will take time to study it in the morn

Comment

• olchad
            Frequent Contributor
            • Aug 2011

I hear reference to an anti-syphon loop in the Tartan system; where is it located?

I am helping a friend rebuild his Tartan with a home-made replica of the original design. The saltwater enters the standpipe on the side of the upper section about 4" from the top. It is not a particularly good weldment and the pipe leading from the engine is solid. The pipe corroded through in a spot halfway from The engine to the standpipe, partly due to a bad joint, and I suspect there is salt water getting back to this run of pipe. We had to rebuild the engine primarily because the exhaust valve in #1 cylinder hung up open, indicating to me the possibility of salt water in that section of the pipe. I don't want to reinstall the engine without dealing with the problem, so I want to have the system truly replicating the original design. I understand there was a flexible hose section from the engine to the standpipe; was it straight, or did it have an S in it to form a sort of P-trap?

Also, there is no anti-syphon in the salt water outlet hose, and while it probably would not cause the problem, I want to include it when we reinstall.

Your help will be greatly appreciated ASAP, as we are within a week or two of installation.
            Thanks!

Comment

• TomG
              Afourian MVP Emeritus
              • Nov 2010

olchad,

Here is another thread detailing the beginning of my exhaust project on my T-30:

Tartan 30 Exhaust Question

To try and answer your question, I would guess you don't need a vented loop on the standpipe, but it would depend on your standpipe design. Is there any way for a siphon to develop with your standpipe? There really isn't a way for a siphon to be created on my standpipe, so I didn't bother with a vented loop.

The exhaust system on my T-30 when I bought her was an odd mix of hoses and fittings that didn't make a lot of sense. My boat came with a waterlift muffler that was shot when I got it. I knew this was a problem and while I was researching replacements, I found the new Stainless Steel Standpipe designed for the T-30 offered by Moyer Marine. After looking at waterlift options and taking into account the peculiarities of the T-30 engine placement (very low in the keel with very little room for vertical drop to the waterlift), I completely replaced the entire exhaust system from the manifold flange to the exhaust port. After changing to the standpipe, I no longer needed a vented loop since there is a natural break inside the standpipe and the water enters the standpipe at the top, very high above the waterline.

Good luck and shoot me a note if you have any T-30 questions. I'm still learning every day, but I have re-done the T-30 exhaust system.
              Tom
              "Patina"
              1977 Tartan 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Standpipe good

Hi Tom - By it's very nature the standpipe configuration eliminates the need for an anti-syphon loop. I really envy you guys who can have one, makes me go back and look at my boat to see if there's some kinda' way...

Comment

• TomG
                  Afourian MVP Emeritus
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  Hi Tom - By it's very nature the standpipe configuration eliminates the need for an anti-syphon loop.
                  Hanley, That's good to know. I wasn't sure if some designs are more like water jackets that might allow a siphon to develop.

I really envy you guys who can have one, makes me go back and look at my boat to see if there's some kinda' way...
                  Well, if anybody could find a way, my guess is that it's you. Or Neil.

How's the return trip going? Are you planning on a stop in Chestertown on the way up? Would love to see Destiny underway!
                  Tom
                  "Patina"
                  1977 Tartan 30

Comment

• olchad
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Aug 2011

More exhaust questions

Thanks, Tom for your reply. I think the home-built version we have is OK, just looks a little crude. Pretty much the same as yours from Moyer, stainless, but just sloppy welding. One thing it doesn't have is any flex pipe between the engine and the standpipe. I understand Tartan had a flex section when new; does yours have one? with the long length and the L-shape, it's going to grow when running. The elbow going into the bottom of the standpipe cracked and was leaking exhaust. We re-welded it but it was pretty contaminated. I would rather not subject that joint to any bending stress, so I am looking for a flex pipe section.
                    Thoughts?

Comment

• olchad
                      Frequent Contributor
                      • Aug 2011

More exhaust questions

Thanks, Tom for your reply. I think the home-built version we have is OK, just looks a little crude. Pretty much the same as yours from Moyer, stainless, but just sloppy welding. One thing it doesn't have is any flex pipe between the engine and the standpipe. I understand Tartan had a flex section when new; does yours have one? with the long length and the L-shape, it's going to grow when running. The elbow going into the bottom of the standpipe cracked and was leaking exhaust. We re-welded it but it was pretty contaminated. I would rather not subject that joint to any bending stress, so I am looking for a flex pipe section.
                      Thoughts?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/9/prweb8788614.htm Check this out.

Comment

• Kelly
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Oct 2004

Hanley,

That exhaust bellows looks pretty slick. But just looking at it makes my wallet hurt!

In my exhaust setup, there is a slight offset between the engine exhaust flange and the beginning of the bronze riser, making for difficult coupling. The distance to span must be about 25cm and some sort of durable exhaust bellows would be just the thing to make my life easier. Trying to cobble something together with hardware black iron has been a bane to my peace of mind.

Anyway, a few good minutes of dreaming...
                          Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• TomG
                            Afourian MVP Emeritus
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by olchad View Post
                            Thoughts?
                            olchad,

I do not have a flex section between the hot section and the standpipe. They are either very expensive or poor quality. I would love to put a short flex section in, but I am very concerned with carbon monoxide leaking around the flex joint once heat inevitably starts to break it down. I nearly bought a short section of flex exhaust from my local Western Auto, but I wasn't "sold" on the quality. Let us know what you come up with!
                            Tom
                            "Patina"
                            1977 Tartan 30

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

You might want to stroll through the local auto wrecking yard.

That exhaust bellows looks pretty slick. But just looking at it makes my wallet hurt![
                              I do not have a flex section between the hot section and the standpipe. They are either very expensive or poor quality.
                              Unfortunately I'm wrenching on a 2008 Ford Escape this weekend and while lying on my back under the car taking a quick nap (like the pro's) I noticed immediately ahead of the catalytic converter is a gorgeous stainless braided flex pipe about a foot long. It's a little big for our purposes but a little creativity and you could have the flex joint you desire, designed for exhaust use and for a bargain.

edit:
                              I just checked eBay. Over 1200 hits, typical prices range from $10 - $30 and I saw some at 1 1/2" diameter, others as short as 4". Search "exhaust flex."
                              Last edited by ndutton; 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: added eBay reference
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X