what are the symptoms of the advance not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenVoodoo
    • Jun 2011

what are the symptoms of the advance not working?

Hi,
    Are there specific symptoms for the distributer advance not working? I have my timing static timed pretty well now I think, the points are good...sounds reasonable at idle. When I accelerate quickly the engine hesitates and will backfire through the carb. Slow acceleration OK. Someone suggested idle mixture...will play with that this evening, but I wondered what the symptom would be for the advance weights not working? I had looked at them, they seemed to move OK but had some very light surface rust...

I would think that if the timing went to far one way (late) you might get louder pop's in the exhaust, and if the timing went the other way (to early) you might get the blowback through the carb...but maybe this is simplistic?
    ken
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Retarded timing will cause the engine to be sluggish and too much advance can cause a rattling sound or even detonation. There should never be any doubt about where your timing is and how far it advances under acceleration. Get a strobe timing light and set up a reference point or just use the roll pin at the end of the crank. Observe under strobe how your advance operates, ideally to max at around 17 degrees BTDC.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Centrifugal adv

Ken, to check the C-adv just pull the dist cap and give the rotor a twist. It should rotate about 15 degrees and "spring" back, if it does so freely no sticky feel it's good to go.

The spitting through the carb could still be to much advance, try retarding it a bit more and see if the spitting abates. I know yuou had some issues with the points so be sure there still secure. One more question how old is the cap and rotor?

How do the plugs look?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        • Jan 2007

Advance numbers

Hanley, that's 17* in the distributor and 34* on the crank.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• KenVoodoo
          • Jun 2011

points, cap, roter, condenser all basically brand new (probably problem...too many things at once)

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Ken, I bet the reason Dave is asking is old caps get carbon build up and sometimes arc and screw up a clean well timed spark on the inside of the cap.

And yes, too much crap at once doesn't always yield a good analysis as to what was wrong in the first place!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• KenVoodoo
              • Jun 2011

simplistic question

HI,
              Just for a simplistic question, and so I don't get it wrong.
              The rotor, looking down on it, rotates clockwise.
              Advancing means rotating the distributer CCW
              Retarding means rotating the distributor CW?

Like the wind backing or veering...might as well ask left or right....
              thanks
              ken

Comment

• TomG
                Afourian MVP Emeritus
                • Nov 2010

Ken,

With Hanley, Dave, and Shawn here, I can't offer anything to help, but I'm curious how the engine was running prior to ths situation. Were things running well and then changed suddenly or was there a gradual onset of symptoms? Are you pretty sure it's a timing issue?
                Tom
                "Patina"
                1977 Tartan 30
                Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• KenVoodoo
                  • Jun 2011

Started season

Had just started season hasn't run well yet

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by KenVoodoo View Post
                    Just for a simplistic question, and so I don't get it wrong.

The rotor, looking down on it, rotates clockwise.
                    Advancing means rotating the distributor CCW
                    Retarding means rotating the distributor CW?
                    Yes, you are correct.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• KenVoodoo
                      • Jun 2011

found problem?

I hadn't appreciated that the springs in the advance were strong enough to really pull it back. Since It was free I didnt' worry, but i looked closer and one of the springs was broken and the other wasn't strong enough to do much.

What are the chances i could find that in an auto parts store in mid coast maine? (better than Miami I am sure).

On another note, anyone know a good mechanic in mid coast maine? I only have 1/5 months with the boat, and am trying to work relatively normal hours up here...maybe it is time to work in maintance mode and pay someone to get it running right to start.

I keep thinking I am getting close....but not there.

ken

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by KenVoodoo View Post
                        ... i looked closer and one of the springs was broken and the other wasn't strong enough to do much.

What are the chances i could find that in an auto parts store in mid coast maine? (better than Miami I am sure). ...
                        Our host carries the springs for Prestolite, Delco, and Pertronix distributors:

UPS should have it to you in 2-3 days.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          • Jan 2007

Springs

FWIW, I have been playing with a lighter set of springs (extra coils same dia) and am quite happy with them on the E/I set up. I had a few suprises after installing and the instalation forced me to find my timing lite which "illuminated" my suspicions and confirmed my findings.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• KenVoodoo
                            • Jun 2011

It is actually running pretty well.

well Sat morning I tore the carb apart...found that the gasket for the idle jet was broken and part was in the section in front of that...must of done that last year when I was having alot of gas problems. Will order another, but for now just put it together without a gasket.

Also my wife found some small springs that we could modify and try to make one that matched the old, rusty but not broken spring...came close and actually once I got the timing right and dwell and idle (only one turn out...1 1/2 didn't work as well) it runs pretty well as long as I don't push much above 1700 rpm.

I also found, for general interest, that NAPA sells a distributer advance kit for GM distributors that has 3 sets of springs, I bought this (will buy the Moyer one also...but I ordered this before we found the alternates...and could pick it up this morning)....not sure which is the right one, don't know the spring constant that I should be going for....next will be measuring the spring constant of these three springs, then the one I get from Moyer.....

Interesting, I got the NAPA part number #735-4957 from an antique tractor discussion group online...never know what you can find....

bottom line is though the engine is actually working...and went sailing for two days (including staying overnight)....so life is better.
                            Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X