X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vindauga
    • Aug 2011

Rebuilding carburetor

Rebuilding the carb on my 76 Ericson. Everything came apart amazingly well. Only issue I'm having is getting the venturi tube out (as per the instructions in the kit). How is this attached? Also any other tips on the rebuild/reinstall process would be greatly appreciated, as I've never done this before!
    Thanks.
  • The Garbone
    • Dec 2013

I recall mine was just fit in there and slid out, no set screw. I could be wrong and if I am someone will be along any time now.
    Gary
    78' Catalina 30 #1179
    www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by vindauga View Post
      Rebuilding the carb on my 76 Ericson. Everything came apart amazingly well. Only issue I'm having is getting the venturi tube out (as per the instructions in the kit). How is this attached? Also any other tips on the rebuild/reinstall process would be greatly appreciated, as I've never done this before!
      Thanks.
      What made you think the carb needed rebuilding? Any adverse symptoms experienced? That kind of information can send you to the trouble spot during the rebuild. The two main issues in my experience are filthy bowls and main jets, and mis mated casting halves. Plugged idle holes are a biggy too.

Comment

• vindauga
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
        What made you think the carb needed rebuilding? Any adverse symptoms experienced? That kind of information can send you to the trouble spot during the rebuild. The two main issues in my experience are filthy bowls and main jets, and mis mated casting halves. Plugged idle holes are a biggy too.
        Problem was discussed on another thread. Engine wouldn't start but would run by putting a little gas into the air intake. Bowl is clean but did find water and crud when draining the tank. Replaced the filter and am going to install a new filter with a water separator.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

You are definitely making the right move with the tank and filter/separator. You will probably find a blockage in your main jet. It's really nice to have an air compressor for the rebuild job but you can get by with a parts wash tank and the aerosol carb cleaner can with long nozzle. I also like to use starting fluid to give the jets a final cleaning blast.

Comment

• Bratina
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            You are definitely making the right move with the tank and filter/separator. You will probably find a blockage in your main jet. It's really nice to have an air compressor for the rebuild job but you can get by with a parts wash tank and the aerosol carb cleaner can with long nozzle. I also like to use starting fluid to give the jets a final cleaning blast.
            It goes without saying but eye protection is 100% mandatory, especially if using carb cleaner. It's startling (to say the least) the directions that things spray in, when you squirt cleaner into a jet.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

It it #3 in the attached PDF? Upper right by #12.

TRUE GRIT
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X