• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

HotSpark

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
    I came across this product in a reference by Neil, while researching points issues (as one does). Its been a longtime now - any updates on your test engine with Hotspark, Neil, or anyone else?
    Nothing new to report here either good or bad. I don't run my spare engine much, the one with the HotSpark ignition.

About the rest of the chatter about coil heat, it may help to understand why some ignitions have (need) more resistance than others. Things to look for in your research:
    • Coil heat is directly proportional to amperage x time and inversely proportional to resistance regardless of whether it's internal or external.
    • The need for higher resistance systems is related to # of cylinders and engine RPM as it applies to coil saturation, the soldering iron effect.
    • Unrelated to the discussion but still a factor, coil potting material affects heat.
    • At a fixed voltage resistance doesn't create heat, current does. The more resistance, the less heat (see the first bullet point).
    Last edited by ndutton; 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

So would it be fair to say that, in effect, the primary windings in the coil are a "resistor"?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

All conductors have resistance.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Precisely. The primary windings do it with length; the ballast resistor does it with low conductivity.

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

There are resistors that are wire wound. Wire wound around a non conductive core. Not all that different from the ignition coils.

Comment

• HalcyonS
              • Dec 2012

resistance and inductance

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              Here's a little picture I found at Google (the sum of human knowledge). We know how we measure for ohms across the terminals. So the question again, how does the coil develop it's internal resistance?
              In electronics, people talk about resistive loads and inductive loads. A coil is an inductor. Resistance, Inductance (or Reactance) and Impedance are all measured in ohms.
              This page is explanatory

" Resistance is essentially friction against the motion of electrons. It is present in all conductors to some extent (except superconductors!), most notably in resistors.

Reactance is essentially inertia against the motion of electrons. It is present anywhere electric or magnetic fields are developed in proportion to applied voltage or current,"
              "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                There are resistors that are wire wound. Wire wound around a non conductive core. Not all that different from the ignition coils.
                Completely different!
                1, A coil is a transformer. (autoformer actually) Current in one winding induces magnetic field induces current in the secondary.
                2, A wire resistor uses resistive wire. A coil uses minimally resistive - maximally conductive -wire
                Last edited by HalcyonS; 04-07-2016, 02:18 AM.
                "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                  • Dec 2012

yeah, but ... there' s reason we use copper, on alu, and not, say iron (or wood) for wiring
                  The wire they sell for electronic wiring is desirable because its resistance is negligible.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

how does the coil achieve it's internal resistance?
                    Well I give up. I always assumed there was a resistor in the coil since copper is a very good conductor. Maybe not?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• HalcyonS
                      • Dec 2012

Here's a little picture I found at Google (the sum of human knowledge). We know how we measure for ohms across the terminals. So the question again, how does the coil develop it's internal resistance?
                      The bigger question is how does the coil develop high voltage output?
                      As I understand it, a *fluctuating*, ie AC current is needed to induce a magnetic field. And the fluctuating magnetic field induces the voltage in the secondary. The points simulate AC by regularly grounding the circuit.

This page is good:

note that the older MG and Morris 4 cyl engines look very like the A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                        Well I give up. I always assumed there was a resistor in the coil since copper is a very good conductor. Maybe not?

TRUE GRIT
                        Regarding resistance in the coil: Single digit ohms is almost no resistance. Most resistors in electronics are measured in Kohms - 1000s of ohms. Megohms (millions) is not unusual.

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Ballast resistors are usually in the 0.5 to 1.5 ohm range. IIRC, the resistors I got for my coolant pumps are 1 ohm 25 watt units.

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
                          Regarding resistance in the coil: Single digit ohms is almost no resistance. Most resistors in electronics are measured in Kohms - 1000s of ohms. Megohms (millions) is not unusual.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

True.
                            Also the lower resistance coils have presumably thicker wire and less turns to give higher voltage output. The less turns in the primary, the higher the ratio to the secondary and thus higher voltage out.
                            What I don't know for a fact is that the difference between a 4 ohm, a 3 ohm, a 1.6 ohm, and a 0.6 ohm coil, etc. etc. are all ENTIRELY down to the amount and size of primary wire or if some of them have an internal ballast as well.
                            A little poking around shows this:
                            A 0.7 ohm coil has a turns ratio of 100:1.
                            Free Shipping - MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Ignition Coils at Summit Racing.

A 0.6 ohm coil has a turns ratio of 108:1.
                            Free Shipping - PerTronix Flame-Thrower II Ignition Coils with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Ignition Coils at Summit Racing.

A 3 ohm coil has a turns ratio of 50:1
                            Free Shipping - PerTronix Industrial and Agricultural Ignition Coils with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Ignition Coils at Summit Racing.

Clearly there is more wire in the 3 ohm coil (lower turns ratio = more wire on the primary side), but without sawing the thing open I cannot say 100% of the resistance increase is due to the wire. I may call a coil company and ask, now I just have to know. I think it is, but not 100% sure.

A visualization aid for those lacking EE backgrounds - A dimmer switch acts like a ballast resistor. The more resistance, the less total current, and the less heat and light coming out of the light bulb. Switching the light on and off rapidly is like the points. The more ON time vs. OFF time is the dwell. The higher the dwell, the hotter the bulb. Electronic ignition leaves the light ON more than points, so the coil gets hotter.

Last edited by joe_db; 04-07-2016, 08:20 AM.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Decent analogy Joe. About how different internal resistance coils are constructed, the Bosch Blue Coil #00-012US says right in its description "Stock Bosch blue coils have the 3 ohm ballast resistor INSIDE the coil" Further, here's a drawing of a vintage Autolite canister coil that should help clear up the speculation.

Is there a reason for this exercise? It seems it's headed down the path of how to build a watch when you only asked what time it was.
                              Attached Files
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Mar 2010

Decent analogy Joe. About how different internal resistance coils are constructed, the Bosch Blue Coil #00-012US says right in its description "Stock Bosch blue coils have the 3 ohm ballast resistor INSIDE the coil" Further, here's a drawing of a vintage Autolite canister coil that should help clear up the speculation.

Is there a reason for this exercise? It seems it's headed down the path of how to build a watch when you only asked what time it was.
                                Time spent on (intellectual) reconnaissance is never wasted; tell 'em, Drill Sergeant.

Comment

Working...
                                X