X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

In the automotive field it is not at all uncommon for a water pump to fail not thru the loss of impeller or shaft wobble, but rather thru bearing failure (Ford trucks are a good example of this). In many automotive applications such failures dictate complete replacement of the unit (the aftermarket loves it). Not so with the MM 502 with replaceable bearings; when my pump has been rebuilt it will be virtually new.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Thanks hanley - you have just given me another reason to have 2 of everything onboard!

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Good learning curve for us all.

Hanley,
        No shame for it after 1200 hours; anything with moving parts will eventually wear somewhere. You noticed that before it presented a problem for your engine...so you get the gold star.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• TomG
          Afourian MVP Emeritus
          • Nov 2010

Hanley,

I really liked the quarter-sawn oak table in your picture. I also like the fact that your pump was propped up on your wallet. Subliminal message?

Glad you found the culprit.
          Tom
          "Patina"
          1977 Tartan 30
          Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Mark S
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            Once again Hanley has been found guilty of overlooking the obvious. Went out and put in the Oberdorfer backup and the whining is gone.
            You and the rest of us, Hanley. Good work!

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
            Hi Marc,
            It's basically the thicker viscosity that makes it quieter.
            Mo,

That's what I was wondering. I wouldn't have thought there was such a difference between 30 and 40 weight. Obviously, if the engine is down a quart or two, it will have a different sound than it will when it is filled to specs. We're out of the water now and I'm removing Oberdorfer and installing MMI 502 and maybe getting inside the water jacket if I feel like breaking stuff, so my experiment with 15-40 will have to wait for spring.

Mark

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

I think there is more to it than just the higher viscosity. I have used straight 40w without noticing any noise reduction (but I did get an oil pressure boost). Maybe someone can tell us about oils for diesel engines.

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

insight to my madness.

Hi Guys: the first link is the specific oil I use and the second link explains what the lettering means. They explain both gas and diesel engine lettering.

The evolution of engine design has pushed the motor oil grading system for better motor oil service ratings.

The reason I switched is because I have Dodge Cummins diesel and a Jetta TDI (just gave it to my son but I still have to fix it) and a Santa Fe....

So listening to my A4 running compared to a modern gas engine (Santa Fe)...it sounds more like the TDI. It's a 4 banger in every respect. So I tried some diesel oil in it (says right on the bottle it can be used for gas engines)...and it was quieter and doesn't use any. A read of the material will give some insight to my madness.
                Last edited by Mo; 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM. Reason: fix a link.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• jpian0923
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

I feel like this was a test (fake test) to see who was a good diagnostician for the A4!

Thanks for the fun Hanley!

Work that camera.
                  "Jim"
                  S/V "Ahoi"
                  1967 Islander 29
                  Harbor Island, San Diego
                  2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• Mark S
                    • Sep 2008

Maybe whatever they do to make it a multi-grade has something to do with it. I suppose it's no better or worse for the reversing gear than straight 30 weight of SI or SJ or whatever the API designation is now. Maybe what we should be looking for is 15-40 weight SG oil, if there is such a thing anymore.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

I have seen that oil recommended by Mo sold at Walmart at a reasonable price. All my motoring life I have advocated the use of straight weight oil but this episode has shaken me up a bit.

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Hanley, you are correct, Super Tech is made for WalMart.

I also really like the Shell/Rotella 15w-40, it is available everywhere - I used that in my old Cherokee (sadly crushed during Irene) & currently use the Rotella SAE 30w in the A4, but may try the 15w40 on the next round.

Incidentally, (since the Cherokee was a bit abused before I acquired her she 'used' a little oil) you can buy the Rotella 15w40 in 5 gallon buckets.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

The super Tech is made by Esso (Exxon)...it's not penstate oil...just so you know...I know that for a fact. It's good stuff for us and we can afford to change every 20 hours if we want....I get it for about $12 a gallon. Can't go wrong.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                          X