• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Paragon 2:1 reduction gear lubrication.

Hi guys,
    I had a member PM me re: lubrication of Paragon 2:1 reduction gear. I thought I read there was a lubrication port between the engine supply and the gear assembly. Can someone confirm this.

I have a 2:1 reduction gear out in the garage on my spare engine and there are no drain or fill plugs that I can see for gear oil. My C&C 30 doesn't have a reduction gear so I haven't dealt with it. Any better info than that much appreciated.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Mo - The 2:1 is fed by engine oil. There is a 1/4" NPT plug on the side for draining.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Thanks Hanley...I didn't notice a plug on the one in my garage I have it tucked away in the back...will get a better look at it tomorrow. Hope you are a Bruins fan...I am!
      Last edited by Mo; 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

Yes it is lubricated with the crankcase oil. I think it circulates by wishful thinking, but it works.

Mine has a drain plug (see attached pic)
        Attached Files
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

OK...I was looking on the bell itself. Thanks Russ.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Bingy
            • Sep 2011

Thanks All

Due to it's location and the lowest point on drive chain is there a recommended service .

When I did the oil change on this boat and used the lowest point on engine Do I assume some oil came out of that gear also?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

When the engine oil is drained some oil (perhaps a pint) will remain in the 2:1. I suppose if you have the plug mounted low you could get a little more out. I don't.

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

I wish I could jam a 2:1 in my C-30. I was really impressed with how smooth Ed's engine was when we were aboard with Russ last year. It would be nice to put on a 'bigger' prop, get the engine RPM up a few more hundred RPM, and not have the prop spinning at 2,200 RPM.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  I wish I could jam a 2:1 in my C-30. I was really impressed with how smooth Ed's engine was when we were aboard with Russ last year. It would be nice to put on a 'bigger' prop, get the engine RPM up a few more hundred RPM, and not have the prop spinning at 2,200 RPM.
                  What prevents you, Shawn?

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

i think it is a space problem. I'd have to cut the floor open where you step down from the companionway steps..There is only about 6" of shaft between the coupling and the stuffing box...the stuffing box is already under the floor.
                    -Shawn
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Shawn,
                      Don Moyer talks about a few things in the following thread. Might be more to it than we think. I've also heard of changes in the strut angle that would require a reduced prop size on some boats...haven't looked into it a whole lot.

Last edited by Mo; 05-01-2013, 05:13 AM.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Mo..excellent info thanks. one of the beauties of the A4 in a C-30 is that it fits...the settee heights are just high enough to fit the A4..most diesels are too tall, and later C-30's with diesels have humps in the cushions.

There might be 1.042" of clearance but I am not sure...might have to cut out the access board for that #1 spark plug.. The other tidbit of 5.5" of shaft length is the kicker..it is close & the 2:1 gear would probably bump into the back end of the galley cabinet.

Another problem would be getting a large enough prop while keeping an eye on tip clearance. I suppose a 12" diameter (stock on a C-30) could easily have an appropriate pitch number to match for 2:1. It would be interesting to know what the guys do that convert from an A4 to diesel..Do they move the strut back to get more hull clearance and swing a bigger prop? , or did they move the strut back on the boats with diesels installed later, blah blah, ...etc.etc., or are they running 12x12 props?

Just wishful thinking...always engineering something..in the meantime, it is back to real-world issues like getting the engine to run right and planning my deck painting strategy.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Oct 2008

Shawn,
                          I think blade area has an effect here too. Got to go to work just now, but I look again at Gerr's Propellor Handbook this evening to check. The downside, of course, is drag while sailing.
                          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Yeah Shawn, don't you have enough on your plate already??

The reason the A-4 fits in the space on the C-30 is the boat was designed with the A-4 in mind. That limited space, especially the height, was problematic when the market mood turned diesel. The only engines that fit were underpowered and the ones with enough power were too tall, hence the seat hump and forward riser extension. Repowers are the worst because nobody goes the extra mile of shaft log and strut relocation and realignment.

One local C-30 repowered with a 3 cylinder Universal M25 diesel has a 30 lb. teak cover box that replaces the aft dinette seat. It's easily 5" higher than the original seat top. I know the diesel snobs argue enhanced value but to me the interior hack job completely negates any assumed value enhancement.

Plus, it stinks, is noisy and will loosen your fillings. Some enhancement.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• izzy1554
                              • Apr 2012

sorry if I'm thread hacking but,

how hard is it to remove the reduction drive and convert it to direct drive? my friend bought an a4 with reduction and he needed direct.. is he screwed?
                              everything's an acid trip
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X