New with an A-4 is in the mail, what do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Garbone
    • Dec 2013

New with an A-4 is in the mail, what do I have?

The wife and I are currently in the process of reviving a 1978 Catalina 30 with no engine in it and a half full diesel tank. Cleaning out the bilge I found a nameplate for a Perkins and the hatch cover over the motor is modified to fit a taller than stock motor.

I have purchased an A4 that is due to arrive here in Florida on a truck in a day or two. I will take more pictures then.

They seller stated it ran nice and has a 2:1 reduction. What can you knowledgeable folk tell me about this motor before it gets here.

I have no experience with A4s but do know old motors having done old school motorcycles and a 1947 tractor in the past.

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Gary
    78' Catalina 30 #1179
    www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

First, welcome to the forum! You'll find this to be an invaluable source of A4 knowledge, and the folks here are all quite willing to help.

Here's what I see at first glance:

* Appears to be in pretty good condition rust-wise, except around the water plate.

* Early model block, indicated by the crossover tube on the head, tombstone cover on the reversing gear, and oil-fill cap on the accessory drive.

* Mechanical fuel pump.

* Modification to the oil-fill cap to allow easier access for oil fills.

* At least one of the so-called "freeze plugs" on the manifold has been replaced.

* Rear engine mounts have been modified.

* Water pump appears to have been modified.

* No evidence of a 2:1 reduction gear at the output. It would look like this:
    Last edited by edwardc; 12-12-2013, 09:57 AM.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Garbone..welcome.

The C-30 galley was originally designed around the Atomic 4, so when they started shoehorning diesels in them it was very common to require a bump in the dinette cushion because they are too tall.

Ed sees all the same things I do. First thing I'd do is a compression check, change the oil and then maybe see if it will run. If it runs, then I'd spend a little time pretty-ing it up a bit before installation.

When you get the motor, the casting date of the block is usually stamped under the carb as a six-digit number, so we can figure out the age of the thing.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Clean the brass plate on the "tombstone" cover carefully; the engine serial number will be there. It is a direct drive engine. Very interesting discharge fitting on the manifold - looks like a lead plug bored to restrict flow - suspicious.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Search for posts by Mark Millbauer on this forum. He recently successfully completed exactly what you are undertaking with the only exception being a different original engine. His was a Yanmar, yours a Perkins. Even the boat is the same.

Please keep us posted on the progress. This is yet another case of the tail wags the dog. The shaft log and strut angle will determine the engine position, not the other way around.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• The Garbone
            • Dec 2013

Thanks for the tips. A bit excited to get my hands on it. The seller said it was pulled from a 68 Pearson 30.

I was happy when I got the photo because I thought it was a direct drive motor not a 2:1 as the seller listed. Good to hear conformation.

Sorry about the bigness of the photos, I assumed the forum would resize them.

Here is a picture of the screw on my boat. I am of the opinion that it may have been an A4 to start and then was repowered to diesel. It does appear that the PO sistered a set of oak blocks on top of the stock bed, hopefully the math works out.

I hope I do not have to replace the prop. The cutlass bearing seems snug and the prop turns by hand. I was hoping to get away with a good cleaning and repacking of the box.

My overall plans for the motor are to make it fresh water cooled and set it up for a hand crank on the front. I hope the compression is good so I can avoid the piston, ring gap and bore thing. I know how to do the work but hope I get lucky hear.
            Attached Files
            Gary
            78' Catalina 30 #1179

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

Another welcome. Carb appears to be early also by the orientation of the spark arrestor, adjustable main jet and the lack of external scavenge tube. Starter is early and you have points ignition if the condenser is in use. I believe the distributor is also early. Can you clean off the prop and get the diameter and pitch #s?
              Dan S/V Marian Claire 1965 early model.
              Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-12-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

* Water pump appears to have been modified.
                Looks like the grease cup port was extended out for access.
                Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by The Garbone View Post
                  Here is a picture of the screw on my boat. I am of the opinion that it may have been an A4 to start and then was repowered to diesel. ...

I hope I do not have to replace the prop. ...
                  Well, it appears to be a right-handed prop, which is what you'll need for a direct-drive A4. If you carefully clean it up, somewhere on the hub you'll find a stamping that says something like "15 RH 8", which means "15 inch diameter",
                  "right-hand rotation", and "8 inch pitch", although your numbers should be a good bit different than these (they're from my 3-blade prop on a 2:1 reduction).

Some of the Catalina 30 guys here can give you an idea of an appropriate dia & pitch for your boat.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sailbristol
                    • Jan 2009

i believe you also have an output for a manual tach good luck finding one

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

In the prop picture that's a mighty fine looking boat next to yours.
                      Last edited by ndutton; 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Neil, Betty's a Westsail 32 isn't she??

That prop looks an awful lot like the one I sold to Caleb, standard C-30 issue 12 x 7.

We'll see when it gets cleaned up!

I spy with my little eye a Morgan OutIsland 33 on the other side of the zinc..
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Garbone
                          • Dec 2013

Betty is a sweet looking boat and I think you are correct about her being a Westsail 32, built like a tank. Sad that the only visitors she gets are the birds that seem to relish dropping gifts on her decks. She is in very good shape by all appearances.

Just reread the sellers post. To quote directly.

No idea how many hours are on the A4. I believe it's original to the boat 65Alberg. I does have reversing gear 2to1 I believe. I also have the maintenance records and it shows a rebuild in (I believe?) 2008.
                          Sweet if the rebuild was comprehensive, I had missed that the until now..
                          Gary
                          78' Catalina 30 #1179

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I knew what Betty was before I made the comment.
                            Attached Files
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
                              • Sep 2008

Garbone,

Congratulations on finding a great boat project and a terrific, knowledgeable, supportive, group of boat owners and enthusiasts here and at Moyer Marine. As you are already finding out I'm sure you will get an immeasurable amount of help on this site.

There are a couple of us out here that have done the reverse engine swap so don't hesitate to ask questions. I started the swap from diesel to A4 on my C30 this time last year and it worked out just fine. In addition to the group here, Neil, who suggested you check out my posts,was very helpful to me and I would be more than happy to repay the favor by sharing any info with you that I can.

Furthermore, I strongly suggest you purchase all your parts from Moyer because the service is tremendous, you know the parts will be right, and Don Moyer and Ken are the absolute best.
                              Mark
                              C30 "Kismet"

Comment

Working...
                              X