• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Yet More Advice

You could have a bad condenser that is shorting to ground in which case the circut will not be broken when the points open = no spark. I would go for new points and condenser right off the bat.

To test the coil: with the points closed and the key on (or the jumper wire connected) hold the center lead from the coil near the engine or some other ground. Flick the points open and let them snap closed. You should see a spark. Keep at it untill you get a spark in this manner.

TRUE GRIT
    I see you have electronic ignition so forget the tests with the points.
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: Post # 8

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Even on an engine with electronic ignition there is a dwell specification and it can be checked.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

But can it be adjusted?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

don't dwell on it

hanley & neil, since we are on this topic, I want to make sure I understand...Dwell is the duration in time (in degrees, I assume out of one 360 degree rotation) that the ignition is firing to each cylinder, correct??
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Dwell

Neil - I have never had electronic ignition so I do not know if it can be adjusted. In one of his posts Don Moyer speaks of elecronic ignition having a greater dwell than standard point ignition.
            Shawn - After reading the link Neil provided, I may have a misunderstanding of what dwell actually is. All my life I thought dwell was defined as the number of crankshaft degrees the points stay closed for each cylinder, but the link says open. This I do know: as I decrease the point gap, the dwell reading rises. I adjust points until I get the factory dwell specification no matter what the point gap has to be to get it.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Dwell is the amount of distributor rotation in degrees that the points remain open (according to the link, like Hanley I always thought it was closed too). It is commonly set by adjusting the point gap with the points shoe at the peak of the distributor shaft lobe but as Hanley mentions, far more accurately with a dwell meter.

The link I included in post #15 mentions a sliding window in the distributor cap - common on Delco caps but not ours. One of our innovative members has addressed this by carefully drilling a hole in the cap at the proper location and angle to allow an allen wrench to access the point adjustment screw.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	A4 dizzy hole.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	190804

Hanley, I have electronic ignition and there are no adjustments. I suppose it could be checked with a dwell meter and some idea of what reading to expect but if it's out of spec the only remedy is replacement.

edit 2 years later
              Unfortunately that little hole defeats the ignition proof feature of the distributor cap. Placing a screen over the hole restores ignition proofing however. I'm not privy to the screen specifications except that it is metallic
              Last edited by ndutton; 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

A challenge

Neil - I am going to go out on the limb and say - we are right and the link is wrong: dwell is number of crankshaft degees the points remain closed.

Edit: We are right! Do the google- except I was wrong about which degrees - distributor degrees is correct, not crankshaft.
                Last edited by hanleyclifford; 05-03-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• 13jeff13
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  Neil - I have never had electronic ignition so I do not know if it can be adjusted. In one of his posts Don Moyer speaks of elecronic ignition having a greater dwell than standard point ignition.
                  Shawn - After reading the link Neil provided, I may have a misunderstanding of what dwell actually is. All my life I thought dwell was defined as the number of crankshaft degrees the points stay closed for each cylinder, but the link says open. This I do know: as I decrease the point gap, the dwell reading rises. I adjust points until I get the factory dwell specification no matter what the point gap has to be to get it.
                  So then you are saying that it dwells longer as you close the gap.?
                  Makes sense,, as it was my understanding that if you increased the dwell, you lengthen the duration the gap stays closed. It dwells, as in waits, there longer,, before opening again.
                  Last edited by 13jeff13; 05-04-2011, 02:20 AM. Reason: context
                  With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                  1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X