• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joseph miller
    • Jul 2010

gear box issue

hello All,
    went out for a motor today as there was no wind and after running A-4 it started to act up. A little background, rebuilt engine over winter of '11-'12.
    went out today for 1st real run and it appears that the gearbox is stalling the engine. when not in gear, engine idles perfect, in gear it makes rather grinding/choking type noises and will stall the engine. Was able to get it running long enough to get back to my slip at Dartmouth Yacht Club(Nova Scotia). What i am asking is there a adjustment to the gear box or a larger problem.If Mo would call me, as we are both in Hfx and i was once a SYC member i could talk to him direct. Any suggestions for repairs would be helpful.

thanks

Joe Miller
    817-9464
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Assuming that you have already eliminated an overtight packing nut and a dirty or fouled prop, you should check the adjustment on the reverse band to see if it is dragging.

Comment

• joseph miller
      • Jul 2010

how do you adjust the reverse bands. is it on the outside of the gear box or under the inspection cover.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Just left my cell number on your answering machine Joe. Won't be a major ... we will get her sorted out. Give me a call when you get a chance.

My gut feeling is that you may have stuck valves. Sounds great at idle and bogs and dies when put in gear. Don't touch anything just yet until I get a peek at it for you. Happens quiet a bit to engines not used allot. Whatever it is there won't be much to it.
        Last edited by Mo; 07-15-2013, 05:32 AM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Just talked with Joe on the phone re: issue. We know each other from way back. Sounds like he may have picked up a rope or something on the prop. He's going to take a dive under the boat this week and have a look. If the shaft is clear we will go from there.

Likely hood of it being stuck valves as I thought earlier is much lower now. He started and left the dock fine and felt a couple of "hesitations" were the engine sounded like it would stall...then it got worse ...I'm thinking he picked up a piece of rope on the prop. Hanley mentioned reversing band which is a real possibility as well.

The engine ran good last summer so I'm thinking we either have a problem with shaft foul or engine. If there is nothing on the prop Joe and I will have a look at it later this week.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Joe,

Is there any sea grass in your area? A week and a half ago, I had a somewhat similar incident while leaving the harbor at Crisfield, MD. The engine hesitated and seemed to lose power. But I was able to compensate with more throttle. This kept occuring until I was WOT at only 2200 RPM (normal WOT is 3100 as I have a 2:1 V-drive), and barely making 4 kts and starting to overheat.

Returned to the slip and discovered that the prop was wound up full of sea grass. Apparently I had run over some floating blobs of the stuff. It's almost invisible from the surface. A quick dive on the prop to clear it solved the problem. Hopefully, you'll find it's just something caught up on the prop.
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Mo View Post
              Just talked with Joe on the phone re: issue. We know each other from way back. Sounds like he may have picked up a rope or something on the prop. He's going to take a dive under the boat this week and have a look. If the shaft is clear we will go from there.

Likely hood of it being stuck valves as I thought earlier is much lower now. He started and left the dock fine and felt a couple of "hesitations" were the engine sounded like it would stall...then it got worse ...I'm thinking he picked up a piece of rope on the prop. Hanley mentioned reversing band which is a real possibility as well.

The engine ran good last summer so I'm thinking we either have a problem with shaft foul or engine. If there is nothing on the prop Joe and I will have a look at it later this week.
              Good for you Mo!
              Kinda wish you lived closer to my A4!!!
              Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
              A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• joseph miller
                • Jul 2010

Hello all,
                As Mo mentioned, i went for a little swim in Halifax hrbr. not something i would suggest any one do if it can be missed. looked at the prop and there was nothing wraped around it. tomorrow i am borrowing a compression tester just to rule out stuck valve. spun shaft in nutral with no resistance.

my thought is that something is amiss in the gear box. i rebuilt the engine 1 1/2 years ago because water got in from the exhaust. I flushed the engine with fresh oil but could not loose the stuck valves. the engine and gear box run off the same oil sump, so perhaps some moisture remained in the gear box but did not manifest in to a problem until now. Could this be the problem.

i want to thank Mo for calling so quickly yesterday morning and his offer to help.

after tomorrow when i check the compression, plugs, wires etc. and if i find nothing amiss the next step for me is a look in the gearbox. if anyone has any other suggetion i am open to it.

thanks from the great white north

joe

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

Just talked to Joe via telephone. He was out in flat water and there were numerous power boats around throwing wakes...the knocking, banging and rattling, loss of power started after that. He also added fuel to his tank yesterday. I'm thinking water in fuel.

Plan is to change separator, add additional in line filter, suck the bottom of the tank and see how it goes after that. Joe, if you read this I forgot to mention go on the boat gently and try not to stir the tank...suck the tank bottom first.
                  Last edited by Mo; 07-15-2013, 08:52 PM.
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• joseph miller
                    • Jul 2010

gear box issue

hello all,

went to the boat to rule out a few things
                    1st i checked compression and all cylinders were between 92-98
                    checked for water in the fuel and there was none. did the fuel 1st.
                    started engine, took about 3 revolutions and started exactly as always.
                    put in forward and ran for a fair bit of time.Reverse was the same thing.
                    went below and shifted from the back of gear box, seemed to work well but no real neutral or very small. do you think an adjustment to the reverse is needed.
                    thanks

joe

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Yes, there must be a real neutral, a position where you can stop the output shaft. Try backing off the reverse band.

Comment

• Loki9
                        • Jul 2011

When in neutral, my prop still spins forward a little. I consider that normal. I can stop it from spinning by pulling back on the gear shift slightly. Perhaps I could adjust the reversing band a little tighter to change the situation, but I have no reason to bother.
                        Jeff Taylor
                        Baltic 38DP

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Loki9 View Post
                          When in neutral, my prop still spins forward a little. I consider that normal. I can stop it from spinning by pulling back on the gear shift slightly. Perhaps I could adjust the reversing band a little tighter to change the situation, but I have no reason to bother.
                          +1
                          Exactly my situation. I've learned to live with it. My trany makes a funny sort of grinding noise when it is truly in neutral. Don't know if this is common or not.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

I'm taking a 20 minute drive to have a look at it later this evening.
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Loki9
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                              +1
                              Exactly my situation. I've learned to live with it. My trany makes a funny sort of grinding noise when it is truly in neutral. Don't know if this is common or not.

TRUE GRIT
                              The sound you hear are the planetary gears turning, it's perfectly normal.
                              Jeff Taylor
                              Baltic 38DP

Comment

Working...
                              X