X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Having the EI does influence the discussion, of course. Isn't a potentiometer supposed to divide or reduce voltage?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      Isn't a potentiometer supposed to divide or reduce voltage?
      Yes. It's a variable resistor.
      It's use would be to calibrate the instrument to various input voltages would be my guess.

TRUE GRIT
      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
        I can't get the replacement tach to read steadily. It'll read the rpm then sporadically jump then settle back to the correct rpm just to do it again. ...
        My tach was doing this a few years ago. I traced the problem to the little rotary selector switch on the back of the tach that is used to select the number of cylinders on the engine. Apparently the contacts got a little corroded and it was intermittant. By simply turning it back and forth through its full range a few times, it scrubbed the contacts clean and it settled down to a steady, correct reading. That was 4 years ago, and it hasn't acted up since.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
          I know when a 12v auto system is running it's above 12v- maybe 13 to 14v. I am guessing this tach needs 12 or less. The instructions weren't clear- something was lost in the translation. It's a mystery.
          That's why I put the resistance in the send line- I just couldn't imagine a component was made for auto/marine not able to handle up to 15v or so.
          Imagine it. I have personally corrected intermittent spiking problems with instruments as diverse as DC 10 sounders and ST 2000 auto helms by means of resistors.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
            Yes. It's a variable resistor.
            It's use would be to calibrate the instrument to various input voltages would be my guess.

TRUE GRIT
            It appears that according to the manufacturer the potentiometer is also used to influence output voltages. Sure would like to see a link to those manufacturer instructions.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              It appears that according to the manufacturer the potentiometer is also used to influence output voltages. Sure would like to see a link to those manufacturer instructions.
              Could be.
              My other question is what are 2K ohms doing in a 12 volt system? Wouldn't resistance of just a few ohms drop the voltage to almost zero? What am I missing here?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Could be.
                My other question is what are 2K ohms doing in a 12 volt system? Wouldn't resistance of just a few ohms drop the voltage to almost zero? What am I missing here?

TRUE GRIT
                Same thing I'm missing. This is not adding up.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Alco Bill, even though the chatter continues it's good to hear you reached a resolution quickly. Funny how not a single one of us advised a call to the dealer. We do get caught up with ourselves don't we?
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Could be.

TRUE GRIT
                    It is quite possible the potentiometer in the sensing to meter line is to adjust for variations in the signal from coil - . We have seen how the introduction of EI affects tach readings. The resistance in the supply is a different matter, so we could be looking at 2 issues here. Once a sensitive instrument gets spiked, however, there is not usually any fixing it with a belated installation of the resistor - do the primary resistor first; you can always take it out, but it doesn't work the other way.

Comment

• alcodiesel
                      • Oct 2015

AlcoTach

Hahaha, you guys are too much. I returned it. They'll send another. I'll report here.
                      AlcoBill-
                      Alcodiesel comes from one of my old hobbies- model railroading. ALCO is American Locomotive COmpany of Schenectady. Great steam engines then diesels before they went broke.
                      Bill McLean
                      '76 Ericson 27
                      :valhalla:
                      Norfolk, VA

Comment

• romantic comedy
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Bill, I used to drive right by the old ALCO plant in Schenectady, on Erie Ave. Used to see a sign that said "American Locomotive". Sadly, they demolished that plant a few years ago.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Scary Stuff

Found some instructions from the company that makes the tach: http://www.wemausa.com/instructions/...ometer_led.pdf

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                            In basic electrical terms not specific to this instrument I'm curious how the addition of a fixed resistance resolves an intermittent problem. I suppose we should accept the manufacturer knows the idiosyncrasies of his product better than anyone else.
                            Are you referring to these instructions? http://www.wemausa.com/instructions/...ometer_led.pdf

Comment

• alcodiesel
                              • Oct 2015

Horrible customer service. WEMA USA

Finally, finally got refund for the tach I sent back November 23rd, 2015! They said it was a diesel tach even though I clearly ordered a gas one and the instructions were for gas. They said they didn't have the one I wanted in stock.

It seemed that they would do nothing till I called- repeatedly. I had them on speed dial! They kept telling me they moved. Who cares? I didn't force them to take my money.

Wow, I will never order from them again. Here's their website:

Turns out there's an auto shop http://www.autoelectricservice.net/gauges.html
                              selling VDO tachs way less than Defender ($112 v $140) that will work just a few minutes from my house. Sheesh.
                              Bill McLean
                              '76 Ericson 27
                              :valhalla:
                              Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Diesel tachs typically have one of two input signals, alternator tap or tach generator (sender). During troubleshooting did you ever determine which input it required?
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California
                                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                                X