X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Looks like you are getting it under control.

As for my portion of your response...as long as you have a filter/water separator and then an inline filter before the electric pump all should be fine. Mine has been running like that since 2007 without issue.

Next, where are you located. NS has no ethenol fuel....when they start that the government and the oil companies will have their collective asses handed to them. We are 1 million people here and we rule...not them. Put that in perspective...the size of a small city. Politician wear cups around here when they go out to dinner Normal fuel is fine, if it ethelol laced then you just need to use it or not put too much in at once...keep an eye on the separator...should be OK.
    Last edited by Mo; 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• VanBee
      Frequent Contributor
      • Apr 2014

Cleaned the carb tonight. We had an Ultrasonic cleaner at work so I filled it with varsol, set the temperature a little higher than normal and let her hum for an hour. Worked great!
      I have one question about the re-assembly however. I was putting some of it back together when one of the tech's at work came over to have a look. He had some experience with carbs and noticed I may be missing a part. He said there should be a spring/clip that connects the float to one of the needles. I took a picture of the area he was referring to below.

I was sure I had been careful not to lose anything during the disassembly but maybe it was never there in the first place. I downloaded an exploded view of the Zenith 68 carb used on Gravely tractors and it does show a clip under that needle. See below.
      Am I missing that clip or is this needle relying on gravity for proper operation?

James
      Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Your tech at work has been through a carburetor before, no question. His observation is correct for many carbs but the Zenith 68, at least the three I have, does not have the float valve attachment clip. Gravity and fuel pressure opens the valve, the float closes it.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Will be fine with out the spring.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• marthur
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2004

I have noticed that in the past the clips/springs were not used as much. I have rebuilt several older carbs (for different applications) that had a clip in the rebuild kit where none was used originally.

Our Zenith is definitely Old School technology so it should work just fine.
            Mike

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

You asked about another in line filter downstream from the fuel pump. There is no such thing as too much filtration but it would be a good idea to install a fuel pressure gauge right at the carb which can tell you when it's time to change filters.

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I'd suggest if you need tons of filtration there are other issues to be addressed. The recommended filtration package (only a recommendation) is a good quality water separating primary filter between the tank and pump and a small secondary polishing filter immediately ahead of the carburetor. If you need more than that you should be wondering why.

The downside of additional filtration is every filter requires two more fuel line connections and therefore possible leak sources.

Do you notice our fuel tanks have no fittings, connections or openings other than at the top (at least that's what the USCG requires)? Ever wonder why? Minimizing possible leaks is why.
                Last edited by ndutton; 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

If you are changing fuel filters more often than you think you should the "real" issue is probably a filthified fuel tank. You can fix the problem quick by cleaning out the tank by whatever method it takes. In the meantime to avoid a shutdown or other ill effects mega filtration is your friend.

Comment

• VanBee
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Apr 2014

Here is an update to my carb cleaning adventure.

All went back together well and I would like to report my motor is running better than ever.

Thanks to all who replied with help and tips.

James

Comment

• yeahjohn
                      • Jun 2012

Good news!

Comment

Working...
                      X