X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dromo
    • Mar 2008

Mmo

There has been a lot of reference to the use of Marvel Mystery Oil on our forum.
    I.E. used as a penetrating oil ,sticky valves etc.
    Fogging and removing the spark plugs to put a little MMO on the valves for winter lay up
    My question to the forum is .
    How many of you run it in the gas tank on a regular basis ?
    Rick
    Last edited by Dromo; 01-14-2014, 12:52 AM.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Dromo View Post
    How many of you run it in the gas tank on a regular basis ?
    I do, 1% concentration.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Me too. I run my engine pretty cold, and MMO in the fuel does seem to prevent sticky valves.

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I h ave been using MMO in my gas since I got my a4, 20 years ago. I use the amount recommended on the bottle. Think it is 4oz per 10 gal. It smokes a bit. I am not sure if it is the MMO or engine oil.

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Me three...
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Here's why:

Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Additives

I have not and will not use any additives in my fuel unless necessary and I have not found a necessity yet. If my valves were getting sticky I'd clean up the oil first and then add some top oil or MMO for a tank or two two clean off the valve. If the sticking did not go away I'd then look for why. Usually it is caused by poor quality oil, a lack there of or a bit of moisture and some rusting/gumbing of the stem or guide.

I do burn up old fuel (mostly 2 stroke and genset fuel from neighbors) at the start of every season with my beastie as the A-4's low compression is not particularly fussie about octane and or burning up some oil or MMO.

There is no substitute to good clean filtered fuel. I am also very skeptical of mixing any additives together in the fuel too!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

I am in between the crowd on this one.

Like Dave, I don't use fuel additives (in general). I also burn old fuel in the A-4 and have found that it runs just fine on old gas.

But, since I do usually burn a my left over dinghy fuel, I get a tank per year with plenty of full synthetic two stroke oil. The two stroke oil works like MMO to lube and clean things. It burns nicely too. I usually put this in just before the last run of the season.
                Last edited by marthur; 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM.
                Mike

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  I have not and will not use any additives in my fuel unless necessary and I have not found a necessity yet. If my valves were getting sticky I'd clean up the oil first and then add some top oil or MMO for a tank or two two clean off the valve. If the sticking did not go away I'd then look for why. Usually it is caused by poor quality oil, a lack there of or a bit of moisture and some rusting/gumbing of the stem or guide.

I do burn up old fuel (mostly 2 stroke and genset fuel from neighbors) at the start of every season with my beastie as the A-4's low compression is not particularly fussie about octane and or burning up some oil or MMO.

There is no substitute to good clean filtered fuel. I am also very skeptical of mixing any additives together in the fuel too!

Dave Neptune
                  I'm with Dave on this one with the addition that I never put any old dingy fuel in the tank. There is indeed no substitute for clean fresh fuel filtered multiple times. Also there is no substitute for top quality high detergent motor oil changed every 50 hours (if you have a filter, 25 if you don't).

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                    I'm with Dave on this one with the addition that I never put any old dingy fuel in the tank. There is indeed no substitute for clean fresh fuel filtered multiple times. Also there is no substitute for top quality high detergent motor oil changed every 50 hours (if you have a filter, 25 if you don't).
                    Same here.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

I am in the middle too. I bloop some MMO into the fuel tank when I think about it...but I don't measure it.

I did refill my old school oil can this weekend, ran the motor (re-winterized), and squirted a couple ounces of MMO into the cylinders via the plug holes and then turned over the engine with the hand crank. I forgot to empty/fog the carb, but i can do that in the cold.

She took a bit of cranking to start..but she kicked about 20 seconds..and then ran after about another 10 seconds just fine for 45 minutes..sometimes under load and sometimes not. The next time we get a nice 50° day..I may do so again.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

MMO found in Canada

Last week I saw MMO on the shelf in a red plastic 1 litre bottle at partsource in Canada. In the Dartmouth NS store it is on the shelf below the service counter. Haven't seen it in Canada for years but it's back.
                        Canada’s After-Market Auto Parts Store for Cars, Trucks and SUVs. Offering OE Spec parts and over 300,000 parts in our assortment. We are part of the Canadian Tire network to support your automotive needs.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Whippet
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2012

Oh Canada

Good news, Mo. I was in habit of bringing more MMO than beer across the border at Niagara Falls. I had heard rumour that MMO had fish oil, so it probably originated in Canada anyway.
                          Steve
                          Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                          A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Dromo
                            • Mar 2008

It looks like using MMO on a regular basis is a matter of personal preference.
                            Let see we have 4 Yay, 2Nay, and 2in the middle
                            Myself Yay.
                            I'll have to settle for Seafoam. Can't seem to find MMO in Ontario Canada .
                            OK the reason for starting this thread
                            I have been contemplating this for the past few years and couldn't see why it wouldn't work and there's no reference to it on the forum.
                            The Ampco Lubricator and the carburetor Flange Kit from Moyer

How simple can it get ? fill it and your done for the season .
                            For the guys sitting on the fence,some info you might find interesting

Cheers Rick

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Dromo..I use the spray Seafoam to FOG the carb..i spray it in bits and pieces until I see smoke out the back, and then I spray it wide open until it stalls the motor for winterizing.
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X