X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billam
    • Aug 2010

Engine runs in neutral

77 vintage A4;heat exchanger cooled; Starts and runs in neutral, but bogs down immediatly in gear; (checked for prop fouling-all clear)
    Ok here are the vital signs:
    compression: cyl 1 90
    cyl 2 95
    cyl 3 93
    cyl 4 100
    Ignition: Indigo solid state; Got spark; New plugs
    Carb: just rebuilt; checked twice-clean as I can tell; Have tried to lean out the idle jet screw? still looks like it is running rich; ie- a trail of sheen out the exhaust and soot buildup on 1 and 2- not as much on 3 and 4? Why would 3 and 4 not be sooted? exhaust restriction??
    Fuel: set up a spare plastic tank w/ new inline filter and prime bulb; Elec fule pump works

So what might explain why 3 and 4 are not fouled? I have plenty of water out the rear exhaust flap, but wondering if I still might have some restriction causing a problem?? I need to check engine oil color-havn't dome that

Any other ideas?
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

You are on the right trail - check exhaust system in detail and confirm or eliminate before moving on.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Hi billam,

I agree with Hanley as to the next action item. Yank the exhaust hose off where the water mixer enters the maze...there is sometimes a restriction here, especially if you can't remember the last time you checked it.

Alternately, you can remove the exhaust from the manifold to see if there is a difference in the way the engine runs (removing the hot stack removes ALL possible exhaust system restrictions), but the water keeps pumping and quickly builds up in the muffler/pipes since there is no exhaust to push it out..this test would have a duration of seconds instead of minutes.

I usually find it easier to take the hoses off with the engine cool & dig around.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Billam
        • Aug 2010

Atomic idiot of the month award...........

goes to Bill Morris..C&C 27 Beaufort NC who in his panic and overzealous actions in troubleshooting a rich carburetor only to later find the "scavenging" tube had been swapped with the hex nut in the bottom of the carb bowl ..........which is like having 2 carbs , but only 1 metered..................Thanks for anybody that replied to my stupid post..............I should be keel hauled!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

And as you went down one side, under the keel and up the other side you would probably be able to say hello to most of us one time or another!

Comment

• smosher
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

hahaha I like that !!!!!!

so true

Comment

• rigspelt
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Billam View Post
              goes to Bill Morris..C&C 27 Beaufort NC who in his panic and overzealous actions in troubleshooting a rich carburetor only to later find the "scavenging" tube had been swapped with the hex nut in the bottom of the carb bowl ..........which is like having 2 carbs , but only 1 metered..................Thanks for anybody that replied to my stupid post..............I should be keel hauled!
              Wait a minute -- don't be so hard on yourself. They say a good navigator is one who recognizes their mistakes and corrects them in time. In this case, you're a good mechanic because you gave us all the information for an over-rich carb and found it yourself. You were on the right track all along. Well done! Besides, you're another skipper of an older C&C 27 -- gotta stick together.
              Last edited by rigspelt; 09-18-2010, 05:56 AM.
              1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
              X