• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailorsb
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2023

Sources for wire

I have committed to rewiring the engine electrical on my Son's boat this winter. It currently is nearly original including the 8 pin connector as shown in the original manual. Plan is to eliminate the connector and install a cockpit voltmeter in place of the ammeter.
    I have read most of the rewiring posts and studied the suggested wiring diagrams on this forum. I have also read advice on a site called Marine How-to which seems like an excellent source of info.

I am looking for the various wire sizes and colors for the project. I found boatwireusa.com which seems to carry most of it, but wanted to hear if someone has bought from them or has another source.

Steve B
    C&C 35 MkI with A4
    Port Huron, MI
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Look to Moyer Marine. The kit has the proper wires, colors, lengths, terminals and step by step instructions. No running around, no "trip of shame" back to the local suppliers multiple times for just one more thing. A couple of mouse clicks and it's delivered to your door.

Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Don't expect to do that job in 1/2 day. A quality job will take longer. Consider any extras you may want in the future but resist the temptation to take power from the ignition circuit. The A4 requires a minimum of 10 volts to fire and run.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

If you are looking for wire online, make sure it is Ancor wire or equivalent that is fully tinned.
        As was mentioned about, this will be more than 1/2 day!
        * our hosts will save you time and aggravation with their complete kit.
        Otherwise make sure you round up all the bits before you start to prevent aggravation. If you get into the battery cables, the appropriate tool to crimp battery lugs will be needed. I use a hydraulic crimper, I hate the cheap hammer types that do a terrible job.
        * when I was a poor lad living in a box and working 27 hours a day in the mill, I may have gone into West Marine and stuck a fitting in their big Nicropress tool
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Plan plan Plan

FWIW, the cheap hammer type of crimping tool works quite well if you have access to a large vise to squeeze instead of pound.

As Joe says the kit makes for a lot less trips back and forth for what you don't have.

More planning both for the present and the possible future addons makes for better wiring. If you bring power into an area of the boat bring it to a buss bar or fuse block with a large wire and then connect whatever from there.

I spent a few days sketching my current and future needs and wants while cutting out the battery stuff and about the same time wiring. Shorten every possible run you can especially the battery and charging runs if you do the big stuff. In my old Ericson copper was cheap. Just by moving the battery switch I eliminated over 40 feet of big wire and my charge cable was now 3 feet long instead of 25.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

This thing has paid for itself
            (note the gauge numbers are wrong, they tend to run small)
            Amazing deals on this Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

[QUOTE=joe_db;131238]This thing has paid for itself

That's The model I've been using for about 5 yrs when I ripped every single original wire out of 1975 Alberg
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X