X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfergu22
    • Jul 2012

Smoke coming from manifold side of engine

Hello, I noticed some smoke coming off of my engine today. I hadn't seen it smoke before today. The engine had been sitting winterized for about 5 weeks. I'm not sure what it is, hopefully just a gasket or something like that. I took a video of it, maybe someone could shed some light on what I could do to fix it.

Also, it seems like when the engine gets warmed up and running at a high rpm some smoke comes out of the spark plug holes, do you think that's just steam or do I need to tighten the plugs?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlC5aW-mcjM[/YOUTUBE]
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Looks like you've lost the piece of hose that goes from the valve cover plate to the air intake.
    Can't comment on the spark plug smoke. Are the plugs loose? If you've got some coolant leaking, it may go to the spark plug recesses in the head and smoke on startup.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Looks like a leak in the valve chamber gasket.

Comment

• cfergu22
        • Jul 2012

There is a hose there, I think it's just blocked by the opss. I'll try to get a better picture or video so you can See if it's set up correctly.

If it's the valse chamber gasket, is that pretty easy to replace? Do you think it is necessary to fix it or is it ok to have it leaking a little bit like it is now?

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

Another UHS....

Bill

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

cferg..that is up to you...leaks may cause other problems.seepage of cooling water into the crankcase, etc..

Any leak should of course be fixed as soon as practical. i wouldn't want to be motoring around with smokey/steamy/leaky engine parts. The winter time is the best time to tackle these things!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

cferg, all good advice.

Dang, this is killing me! Anybody have an idea what I'm thinking?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Looks like burning paint to me. Was it overheating?

Russ
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• cfergu22
                  • Jul 2012

No, It wasn't over heating. The smoke started almost immediately when I fired the engine up.

Burning paint could explain the smoke coming off the spark plug area. That didn't happen until the engine was warm. I've seen loose flaking paint in those divots before. I'll check them out tomorrow and clean around the area.

Comment

• Sony2000
                    • Dec 2011

Well you have lots of blow-by after the lay up. Is there new oil in the crankcase that is different from the old? But anyway, try to put the engine on a MMO diet, add the hose from the valve cover to the carb, or add a PVC system. Your piston rings have carboned up. Exhaust coming thru the spark plug hole can be a number of reasons, other than, the plug being loose.

Comment

• roadnsky
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      ...Dang, this is killing me! Anybody have an idea what I'm thinking?
                      Oh yeah!
                      Wait until you see what I'm about to post from my weekend of engine
                      maintenance, clean-up and re-working.
                      More to come, soon...
                      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                      sigpic
                      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Smokin!

Looks like blow by and could be just a bit possibly spilled and burning off. If the valve cove plate gasket is leaking fix it. If it is the hose plugged (???) then if the gasket is comprimised blowby could escape there and under the fill cap a bit can leak too as well as past the flywheel end as there is no seal on that end of the engine. The hose~slash tube~ should be in place and sitting right on the sparkarrestor kinda like a neanderthal PCV (sorry Neil)set up.
                        RE the plugs DO NOT tighten more!!! First remove and inspect the seats and the base "ring seal" on the base of the plugs. As the plugs sit down inside a relief it give a place for moisture to gather and steam off. If the plug seals are bad a bit of oil and fuel will work it's way up the threads and burn off. It takes very very little to cause quite a bit of smoke.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                          The hose~slash tube~ should be in place and sitting right on the sparkarrestor kinda like a neanderthal PCV (sorry Neil)set up.
                          That's fine, deride - - deride. Once cferg's issue is surrounded (most important) I have the retort that's killing me locked and loaded.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2006

You said the engine had been sitting, winterized. Every year in the spring start-up, I would notice my engine giving off some smoke from the spark plug holes. I attributed this to the burnoff of the MMO used to fog the engine at the end of the prior season. I always poured a fair amount into each spark plug hole during winterizing - usually making it necessary to put in fresh spark plugs in the spring to start up. The smoke would last the first few times I used the engine, and would gradually disappear.

Comment

• cfergu22
                              • Jul 2012

Jesse, That's a good point. I did spray MMO in the spark plug holes 6 weeks ago when I first winterized. I wasn't planning on using the boat again until March but we've had some moderate weather so I used it last weekend. I probably won't do the MMO in the spark plug holes again unless I'm sure I won't use the engine for 2 or more months. I takes very minimal time to De Winterize and Re Winterize with Anti Freeze, now that I know that, we'll probably use it more this winter than we had planned. I'll have to see if the Spark plug smoke goes away in the next few times.

Could someone explain what "Blow By" means?

I'm going to go down to the boat in the next few days and check the situation with the burning paint and the hose coming out of the valve cover plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X