X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobH2
    • Dec 2009

Interested in After-market Solenoid

Kelly pointed me to an old thread (http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...light=solenoid) discussing solenoids and starters as my solenoid is dying. I could follow the thread and spend a ton of time rebuilding and salvaging it but it's only a $60 part (Maryland taxes and shipping factored in) from Moyer. However, the old thread suggests that these solenoids are quite common and cheap.

Originally posted by adab1402 View Post
    take it from a 30 year knuckle dragger ,buy a new solenoid ,common as dirt at any parts house cost 15.00 us . fair winds albatross .
    Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    The new solenoid idea sounds good. I'm dealing with French parts houses so finding matching parts is always a challenge. Any tips on a part number or manufacturer? Should I just say "Delco starter" and everyone will get the picture?

Kelly
    There was no response to Kelly's direct question as to what might be an applicable part number or manufacturer. Has anyone replaced their solenoid from an auto parts store?
    Rob--

"Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little."

1968 C&C Invader 36' / Late Model Atomic4
    https://www.tumblr.com/sherloch7

sigpic
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

The NAPA # for starter solenoid Delco Atomic 4 is ST 124.

Comment

• RobH2
      • Dec 2009

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout...excellent Hanley...thanks.

[Edut] For anyone interested here is a link to it: http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...124_0215081528

They 'ain't' $15 bucks anymore... Moyer's is about the same after shipping and tax. I'd rather give Moyer the business anyway. If I could have found one locally for $15-$20 it would have been worth it.

Nuff said...
      Last edited by RobH2; 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM.
      Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

Even when it's a few dollars more than I might get locally, what I like about buying from Don is the security of knowing his inventory matches my A4. Given the price of coffee, it's a small premium to pay for that peace of mind.
        Last edited by rigspelt; 06-24-2010, 12:11 PM.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

It really depends on where you are. I live on an island where everyone is exposed to boat issues, and the guys behind the counter are smart and do speak English well. Also the NAPA guys have access to huge inventory and information banks. Between them and Plumber's Supply, I stay away from West Marine.

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rigspelt View Post
            Even when it's a few dollars more than I might get locally, what I like about buying from Don is the security of knowing his inventory matches my A4. Given the price of coffee, it's a small premium to pay for that peace of mind, particularly when the local part is of uncertain make and the guy behind the counter has never heard of an A4.
            Don't forget if there's is even the slightest suggestion of an issue with an MMI supplied part,
            you'll have a replacement on the way and a call from Don to talk you through and make sure you're good.

Try getting that kind of ole' fashion service from an auto supply chain store much less from West Marine.
            ANY chance that I get to support a company that supports us so magnificently, I make sure to do it. (and NO, I don't work for them)

(EDIT) I certainly don't mean to suggest that anyone buying or supporting their local supplier is a knucklehead.
            My true intention was to just give MMI some well deserved praise.
            Last edited by roadnsky; 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM. Reason: Tone it down a bit...
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• RobH2
              • Dec 2009

I agree completely with your sentiments. Even as a new member of the Moyer community I experienced the fantastic customer service of Don Moyer and crew. When Don read of my problems in my 'overheating' thread he sent me a new part right away. They are really great and I do purchase from them whenever possible. They don't price gouge at all so any talk of finding a part locally is purely a desire to find something quickly. Many of their parts are less than other compatible parts on the web anyway. They also ship very, very quickly but sometimes I'm in a hurry or have the time right away to work on the boat so a local find is advantageous.

When I read the thread saying that the solenoid was common and $15 I was intrigued.
              Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• rigspelt
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2008

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                (EDIT) I certainly don't mean to suggest that anyone buying or supporting their local supplier is a knucklehead.
                My true intention was to just give MMI some well deserved praise.
                Same here.
                1974 C&C 27

Comment

• RobH2
                  • Dec 2009

Agreed. No matter what praise you give Moyer it will always be an understatement. There is no way to adequately describe the level of service and commitment they exude...
                  Rob--

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X