X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2dogsfishin
    • Jul 2010

Hours for as rebuild?

I picked up an A4 block from the machine shop where I had it bake/cleaned, decked block & head, valves and seat ground. I carefully recorded my time for assembling including test running. It has taken me 71 hours.

In the last 15 years since we retired from cruising and settled here on Bayou Chico, FL. I have done over 30 A4's, so am not a rookie, but I have had some health issues. I have arthritis, hands hurt, fingers are crooked and I drop things. Also have 100% vestibular dysfunction, i.e., no balance since a botched hip replacement in November 2007, but I am coping. We live upstairs over my shop and have an elevator, so access to my shop is easy regardless of weather or darkness. Plus I am 72 years old.

Now it seems to me I could easily rebuild an A4 in less than 40 hours. I do everything by the book, (Moyer Marine Manual), have completed tech schools in marine diesel engines, outboard repair, outdrives, gear boxes, etc. in the early 70's. I started my first boat repair business in Long Beach, CA in 1971 and except for five years enjoyed cruising our Cal 46, have done boat and engine work. So, I may be considered educated and experienced.

How long does it take you to rebuild an A4? Include everything from the block up. I have a lathe so do my own crankshaft polishing, check every thing like Mr Moyer does and am very deliberate - sometimes called "anal".

Tom
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

40 hours sounds about right although I never did a formal timing. I live on an island with no machine shop so the job gets done in fits and spurts. I envy your lathe and shop set up. I do have a big garage with 13 1/2' overhead clearance so I can pull the engine and set it right on a table next to the boat. Of course every good A4 mechanic is "anal" in approach to the job, and it gets "worse" as we get older and fussier. Good thing we have each other to bounce this stuff off of. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

[hijack]
      I bought a used motor for my car, rebuilt & installed it...It took me 5 years & I moved three times!

Fortunately, most of the rebuild work happened in my step-father's garage, but the installation didn't happen until I had a house with a garage, and the car sat in there for about 2 1/2 years. Now it sits in the back yard because I need to do the transmission next, but I am busy working on the boat!
      [/hijack]
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Shawn - We are glad you've got your priorities straight!

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

2dogsfishin:

I am so impressed. Mechanics is a hobbie for me. I only rebuilt one engine in my life and did it from a manual, had the crank and OHC turned and oversized bearings. The rest I did myself. It was a Toyota 22R...in med school, had no money, done out of pure necessity...it never burned oil for the next 5 years until I sold the truck.

The A4 I have needed the valves seated etc when I got it and has run perfect for the past 3 years - until a fuel issue last weekend. Sorted that out, however, was so sure it was electrical that was causing my loss of power/ missing ( prop rattling like a machine gun) and changed all electrical components - points, plugs, condensor, coil, cap, and rotor button. Turned out to be bad fuel and dealt with it....eventually. All done at sea and I invented a few new words, not necessilary good.

I have a complete drop in in my garage that is great shape...so I for now I will tinker as required.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• domenic
            • Jul 2010

I can rebuild my A 4 in...4,00,200 hours; but, I can do it...I think?

Comment

Working...
            X