• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark S
    • Sep 2008

Broken shaft

Hi folks.

Just like Shawn, I got a new Indigo prop for our Pearson 35. However, just a little monkeying with the retaining nuts on the shaft broke the threaded end right off so it looks like a new shaft is in order for us. I'm just glad it happened on the hard and not in the water when we might be needing the prop. While we're at it, we're going to do the cutlass bearing and install a dripless stuffing box.

Who else has had a broken shaft? How and where did you get a new one? What is the new one made of? All responses appreciated.

Mark S
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

broken shaft

H & H Propellers should be able to set you up. Confirm that you had a bronze shaft. Although a bronze shaft will give you less galvanic trouble with your new prop, I would still go with ss - less likely to bend or break, and prop nut zincs are cheap enough.

Comment

• Mark S
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the H&H tip. A Sabre friend of mine got his stainless shaft there a few years ago. He put it out on the Sabre list and got a response suggesting H&H as well. They're nearby which takes some of the sting out of it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X