S/V PT26
    1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Propane Lantern gives nice heat.

Paul, as you were posting and moving down the ICW there were days that it was warmer here in Halifax than what you were contending with. I didn't bring that up LOL....today is NOT the case. Wind NW and bitter cold with wind chill 1 F this morning. I have a wood stove in the house and had it going the past week or so. First dusting of snow blowing around out there this morning as well and I didn't know it was that cold until I opened the door. Will go out and plug in the truck (dodge cummins) for about 1/2 an hour before I hit the key....on mornings like this it will rattle and wake up the neighborhood LOL.

Coleman single mantle propane lantern for heat and light...works great. The double mantle type will drive you out of the boat and burn up fuel too fast LOL. Buy coleman bottles as well as the have good QA on bottle manufacturing /valve. If you leave the slider open on the cabin about 1 tp 1 1/2 inches the O2 level is fine...apparently requires 6 sq inch opening for good air. You will likely have open more due to nice heat I have the coleman ceramic heater in mine as well but it's not as good as the lantern...plus you get light. Of course safey always the issue so watch for fire hazards close to it .... Buy extra mantles and about 6 bottles...heat for a long time.
      Last edited by Mo; 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

0800 PT26 cuts the sea buoy in St Andrews (R32) and turns back west to Cumberland Island. Most easterly longitude 81 24 29.43. R32 is at 81 24 22.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Looking at the satellite view, it is not obvious that they have to come that far east in St. Andrew Sound...until you look at the chart and see that there is lots of sand in the middle!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Looking at the satellite view, it is not obvious that they have to come that far east in St. Andrew Sound...until you look at the chart and see that there is lots of sand in the middle!
            http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11504.shtml
            The Waterway Guide tells us there are many wrecks on Horseshoe Shoal and I did once see a sailboat grounded there but he had also cut R"30".

Comment

• PT26
              • Mar 2012

Cut St. Andrews Sound

We could have cut at 30 is what we were told but if we wanted to be for sure to miss the shoal cut at 31 point at lighthouse. Lowest depth at shoal high tide was showing 16.2 at low tide it would have still been 6 foot of water.
              The chart shows 19 feet further toward the middle but high tide showed 29 feet.
              Upon leaving the shoaling area the chart called for 29 feet and it quickly went to 60 feet.
              This was a great move, caught the right tides and down swell made it across in no time.

As far as stoking a fire to keep warm I feel your pain... That's why I'm here
              Paul
              S/V PT26
              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

1100 PT26 now in Florida!

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Man! Three weeks to the Florida line. They are smokin'!
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
                    Man! Three weeks to the Florida line. They are smokin'!
                    Takes me about 6 weeks...but I goof off.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

1530 PT26 closing on Jacksonville Beach 4.7 knots. Does it feel like Florida yet?

Comment

• PT26
                        • Mar 2012

St Johns River

In fact is feeling very much like Florida as we past through Two Sisters Bridge the current was on the nose just as the other bridges after this one . The current was running a good three to four knots, little eddies, tide swirl some lost control but not really if that makes sence. I had not run the A4 hard at all this trip but Hanley can vouch for me... You will be challenged here!

I was running wide open against an out going tide, just hoping we would make it through under the bridges. The A4 was like a beast, I am so glad I did the tune up the timing could not have been better.
                        So here we are at our first destination many things to wash, fix, repair - well I have my work cut out anyway.

I will run some stats and post them and see how things have shaken out so far.

For now it's Billy's Boat house for a fish and shrimp basket.... Don't be hate'n on me but they have some killer shrimp here.
                        Last edited by PT26; 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM.
                        Paul
                        S/V PT26
                        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Paul & Trina...we are not hate'n...we are envious!
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

In Florida they use better shrimp for bait than we get to eat here in Edgartown.

Comment

• PT26
                              • Mar 2012

Isn't that the truth Hanley!
                              Just a few is a meal for sure.
                              It was a rainy day here but still managed to get the boat cleaned up a bit from the ride.
                              I hope the sun comes out tomorrow so I can clean up the outside she sure could use a bath and a wax job.
                              The next thing is all the zinks need to be replaced.
                              Paul
                              S/V PT26
                              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Mar 2010

How long will you be staying in Jacksonville Beach?

Comment

Working...
                                X