• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

starting problem....

Howdy folks....
    I'm not having any luck getting my A-4 started due to a lack of spark to the plugs. I've replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor, points, spark plugs and wires... but still no spark at the plugs. When I replaced the points, I rotated the engine until it was on one of the cam lobes so that there was gap... I think I got that right.

The negative terminal of the coil has two negative leads to it -- one coming from the distributor, the other from the oil pressure safety switch. And this is as it should be, correct?

Any thoughts from the learned panel? I apprecaite any and all help. Gotta git the old girl back in the water before the yard kicks me out....

Thanks again!
    Dwight
  • ButchPetty
    • Jul 2010

You didn't say if you had spark at the points. If you got power at the coil, you should have spark at the points. If you got spark at the points you should have spark at the plugs. So just trace back wards. Really easy. Or start at the coil which is where I would start.
    sigpic
    ButchPetty.com

Comment

• sailhog
      • Apr 2009

Thanks Butch. I have spark coming from the coil. How do I tell if I have spark at the points?

Appreciate your help, amigo.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Spark

Sailhog, if you have spark at the coil you have power (spark?) at the points.
        You may need to bypass your oil pres sendor for the electric fuel pump. If you don't create enough O/P no power, if so equiped.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ButchPetty
          • Jul 2010

You should just be able to pull the points apart from the closed position and see a spark with the ignition on. It may look weak, but you should see one. If not you need to examine the coil for failure. And also check all your plug and coil wires for corrosion since you said it had been setting for a while. Could just be bad connections.
          sigpic
          ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ArtJ
            • Sep 2009

Probably best to pull them apart with something non conducting to avoid
            shock?

Comment

• msmith10
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2006

The oil pressure safety switch won't affect spark. If no oil pressure, it keeps the fuel pump from energizing.
              Mark Smith
              1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sailhog
                • Apr 2009

Thanks, everyone... I'll be back out at the yard tomorrow, the next day, the next.... I have a feeling I'll be back on the board with questions... lots and lots of questions....

By the way, the coil, cap, points, rotor, wires and plugs are all new. Just can't figure out what's keeping the juice from the plugs....

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Sometimes one of the wires that attach to the points could be shorting out.
                  or broken, especially on delco caps where the wire goes thru the cap.

Regards
                  Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

The oil pressure switch should not be on the negative coil terminal - only the points and tach lead if so equipped.

Comment

• sailhog
                      • Apr 2009

Thanks gentlemen. Please post any observations, suggestions, etc.
                      Dwight

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

You did not mentioned what the gap at the points was. It must be set with a feeler gauge - try .020".

Comment

• sailhog
                          • Apr 2009

Thanks, Cap. I feel like I'm getting somewhere....

Comment

• msmith10
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2006

I second Art's suggestion to check the wire from the distributor to the coil (the little one from the (-) coil terminal to the points). I've seen that go bad more than once.
                            Mark Smith
                            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sailhog
                              • Apr 2009

Thanks again, gents. The only ignition component that I haven't replaced is the condensor. What are the chances that this is shot? The boat has been dry docked for a 11 months and experienced some water intrusion into the cabin. It was nice and steamy below decks for a couple of months....

Comment

Working...
                              X