• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jedlls
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2007

Exhaust Pipe Inspection

What is the best way to inspect the exhaust pipe? Two other Atomic 4's of similar vintage ('73) in the club have reeled from the mess of a the blow out of an exhaust system component in the 2 last years. They lost 2 weeks of northen boatings' prime time plus made an ugly soot mess of their interiors due to a lack of preventitive maintenance.

My original water lifter's intake hose is removed annually, the (original) lifter is pumped out; and there is always rusted filings/sediment in the bottom of the lifter. The walls of the intake lifter sound solid when tapped and are clean (looks like s/s to me). Also I drain the A-4 water for the winter rather than inject anti-freeze so the sediment may be from a light rusting every winter.

The exhaust pipe from the manifold to water intake is wrapped in asbestos. How should I inspect it? What do I look for and how do I proceed?

There is no maintenance record prior to 2001 on the engine. It was rebuilt in 1995 - 2001, has perfect compression and has a newer water injection pipe to the exhaust. Am I too agressive to inspect this area now? How, and how often should this inspection be done?

John, Weather or Not
    C & C 27 - 1973
  • smosher
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

If you can remove the flange bolts then I would just replace it as parts are cheap enough. If You can't remove the bolts then there are posts here in how to check it with gauges.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

If the hot section is threaded black iron pipe then I agree with smosher; just replace it every five years or so. For the premium upgrade get a new flange from Moyer Marine with the test port pre-tapped.

Comment

Working...
      X