X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Why do we call it raw water?

As in "raw water cooling." Any guesses, folks? Come on, I know this is the right group to come up with an answer!

How long has this term been around?
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

When you look at some of the stuff that comes up from that thru hull you sure couldn't call it "refined" or "fresh" (think Waccamaw River) - I guess we call it "raw" because you could be getting anything. Actually, we all use "raw" water even if we have "fresh" water cooling (another misnomer), unless we use a keelcooler.

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Raw water is a term that includes water found in the environment. It is also used in water treatment. raw water is what gets treated.

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

you sure couldn't call it "refined" or "fresh"
        Speak for yourself! Here on the Great Lakes we drink our lake water with surprisingly little processing. I know in the less populated areas (North half of Michigan and Huron, most of Superior) people drink lake water with only filtering.

Bragging over, back to work....
        Mike

Comment

• wsulli
          • Nov 2013

Here in NJ one must filter their tap water or it smells and tastes like dead fish or worse. For the past 38 years I drink only bottled water which I pass through a Mavia filter.

Comment

Working...
          X