X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brucegarry
    • Apr 2010

Shift frozen in neutral

Over nine years I have made many adjustments to improve shifting on my C-30 A4. After not using the boat for two weeks the shifting lever refused to move in either direction, forward or reverse. I disconnected the cable at the transmission shift lever. The cockpit shifter level attached to the cable then moved with ease, either direction. I reconnected the cable, and after the A4 was running for about 15 minutes was able get it in both forward and reverse. Each time I started the engine, three times for the next two days there were no further problems.

Then after two weeks without using the A4, the same problem occurred - shift was frozen in neutral and could not be moved no matter how hard I pulled or pushed the shift lever. But again 15 minutes after starting the engine the shifting was OK for another weekend.

I have since loosened the retaining pin and turned the adjusting collar counter-clockwise one notch without any effect on the frozen shift lever.

I also noted that when I put my screwdriver directly underneath the adjusting collar on the transmission inner bottom there was NO oil, but the dip stick reading was at the full mark. I know there should be oil in the transmission but not sure at what level and where to measure it. If the oil level is a problem, then where is the opening between the engine and transmission that apparently is plugged? If this opening is not accessible without major disassembly then why couldn't I just add oil directly into the transmission?

Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated?
  • FelicityRebuild
    • Apr 2010

That's odd

It's odd that your transmission is dry when the dipstick reads correctly. After reading your post I walked into my backyard and took a look at my oil pan which I'm currently cleaning and repainting. There's no 'path' between the main oil chamber and the transmission. It's directly connected with a 2" gap between supports so the oil should flow freely. I've attached a picture of mine here. The transmission end is to the right.
    Attached Files
    Matt - Proud owner of Felicity. A 1969 Morgan 30.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

oil to transmission

The oil to this area is fed from a small hole in the crankshaft. If you do not already have one, get a copy of the Moyer Marine Service and Overhaul Manual. It will become your favorite read. Also check the band adjustment and for any burned smell in this area.

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

Here's hoping

Brucegarry,
        You are fortunate that you have a C-30 where the transmission is actually accessable. Before digging into the trans too deeply it would probably be a good idea to make that the cross shaft is operating freely. There are seals in the housing where the shaft passes through the trans but they are normally worn pretty severly potentially allowing bilge water to invade and cause the shaft to rust itself in place. Try using the red tube that comes with most spray lubes to work some lightweight oil past the seals the next time the shifter is frozen. I have taken my comments in this direction because getting to that 1/16" hole in the back of the trans means some serious dissasembly.
        Tom

Comment

Working...
        X