X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theredboat
    • Apr 2010

Moved coil - need longer wire...

Just moved my coil to one of the bulkheads in the engine compartment and now I need a new coil wire. It needs to be roughly 30" long. I've been to NAPA and Advanced Auto, even shopped online a bit, but I can't seem to find a wire with the proper leads that fit the cap and coil. I 've the petronix coil.

Anyone have a source? Thanks!
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Wire?

Try a performance shop or on-line. You may be able to buy a lenght of wire and install the ends. I have used many "universal kits that come with the plug end installed and you cut and install the coil ends. They usually have a bare wire that you do both ends on for the coil lead but I have not see one at 30" that I can remember.
    You may try an industrial source for furnase ignition, mine at work is about 6 feet long and appeared to be standard automotive ignition wire~McMaster Carr~worth a try.
    30" seems awful long, it can't be mounted closer? Finding a long lead should not be to hard but 30" may be a bit much as coils are usually kept "close" to the distributor.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Hi,

Don Moyer (MMI) had a good article regarding coils a couple of months ago.

That's a long wire. May I ask why so far away. Space constrictions? There is a pic of my old beast in my engine album. Click on my name then see albums on the right of your screen. Just hit "show all albums" and there is one there that says "engine". You will see my coil mounted inverted on the bulkhead above the engine. She isn't the prettiest but it runs like a top.

The coil doesn't need to be far away. There are a few trains of thought on the coils. I had read that if I moved it to a bulkhead it would reduce heat and vibration. Had no problems prior to moving the coil, just did it as a precautionary measure...and no problems since.

Perhaps if closer you could come up with wire. I used the same wire that came with the wire set.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Moving the coil off the engine is a good idea but 30" for a secondary coil wire is inviting trouble.

Comment

Working...
        X