X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary randall
    • Jan 2010

calling all abyc standards experts

Now that you guys have shown me the wisdom of adhering to ABYC standards with your insights on exhaust system materials, I was wondering if there is a standard for blower systems.
    What kind of duct material would be best to use to replace the blower duct?
    The current duct – what is left of it – is plastic.
    Should I use off-the-shelf dryer duct?
    Is aluminum OK? And, if so, why would it not be prone to sparking in some way, defeating the purpose?
    Is there a standard?
    And, finally, is the lowest part of the bilge the best place for the hose to terminate?
    If it matters, the boat is a Tartan 27.
    Gary Randall
  • Laker
    • Sep 2010

Not so low that the blower duct end might lay in bilge water.

Note - I rely as heavily on my nose as I do the bilge blower. I always flip open the engine compartment and stick my head in prior to turning on the blower. Keeps me honest. Take nothing for granted.
    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Not ABYC but here's what the Coasties have to say about it:

Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

I tried using aluminum ducting once but the salt environment ate it up real fast.

Comment

• CalebD
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Gary,

Congrats on owning a T27 as well. Mine is from 1967 (#328) as is the A4 and our fan duct is plastic and circular and has lasted a long time. I'd replace it with a similar product today if needed. It is similar to some of the dryer vent hoses but in plastic, not metal. Our air exhaust hose ends near the tranny laying on the hull before the bilges.

I'm sure the ABYC codes have some standard for the duct/hose for the engine compartment fan but the fan itself is the most important. If it is a spark proof blower/fan and marine grade it should be ABYC compliant.

Have you found our T27Owners group over at yahoo? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T27Owners/

Which hull # and year is your Tartan 27'?
          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

Working...
          X