• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Alternator Mischief

Just when I thought I had made a near trouble free passage I discover 9 volts at the stator terminal engine not running. Am I correct in suspecting one or more output diodes are leaking and/or shorted?
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hi Hanley,

Large red to the Battery and a wire from the ignition to solenoid right. The red one should read 12 V and the small one from ignition should read 12 V with starter button pushed or key in crank position. If this is not so look for bad connection.

Otherwise, need to check the output of the alternator and see if it's charging. Hanley, I hope that helps as electrical is not my forté.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Mo - Thanks for the reply. Problem is I have external regulation and even with the regulator harness unplugged, that is - no connection to field, no battery sense but only the output cable on the alternator I still get voltage at the stator! What else can it be? Somehow voltage is getting from the output terminal to the stator even when the engine is not running. I caught the problem when I saw the stator indicator light on the regulator glowing slightly and felt warmth on the alternator casing. I ran the engine and the alternator still puts out full values but upon shutdown the problem returned. I had to disconnect the cable from alternator output terminal. Does anybody remember a thread about this several months ago?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Are you getting heat with the output attached but the regulator disconnected? I'm far more concerned with the heat than the voltage reading at this early stage. They may be related but maybe not. Let's find where the heat is coming from.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Yes, I am getting heat with all wires detached except the alternator output cable.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

In that case I think your original thought of compromised diodes in the rectifier bridge is likely. Time to start looking for an alternator shop? If it were me I'd take the regulator along too so they have the full picture.

Good thing you found it now, at the start of a planned respite.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Thanks, Neil - In fact the shop where I bought the regulator is nearby and I will take both units to them.

Comment

• lat 64
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2008

Your regulator is what biologists call anadromous. It is going to it's birthplace, it's going home to die and spawn a new generation. (get it? generation) Ha! I kill me!

Sorry, too much left over egg nog here.

Cheers Hanley,
                Russ
                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• jhwelch
                  • Dec 2005

Not sure if it is still there but just down the street on Rt. 1 northbound in Titusville is a tiny alternator shop (not sure about the dog, though). When my alternator went out some years ago the man fixed it for free; a wire inside needed to be reattached.

Comment

Working...
                  X