X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Rick, sounds good...that is basically what I did the first winter. Ripped off everything that was removable and brought it home to test, clean, paint, etc..

Wouldn't you know, the damn thing fired right up in the spring (once I fixed the leaky fuel tank).
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Rick,

I visited your profile page and studied your exhaust pictures again. I retract my comment on it being a standpipe. It looks similar on the outside but I believe it functions differently. More accurately I think, it's a water jacketed muffler and looks to be in pretty good condition. I've never seen a configuration like that before.

The big difference between yours and a standpipe is the standpipe mixes water with the exhaust internally and yours is external. Other differences that caught my eye are the positions of the various hose connections.

If the time ever comes that it needs replacement, a conventional standpipe would work beautifully.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

After reading Neil's comments I had a look at your pictures. Easy to see how it could be mistaken for a standpipe. It does share a critical feature with the standpipe concept - the exhaust does not have to drive water uphill. I like your set up.

Comment

Working...
        X