• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Alternator Curves

Has anyone come across a set of output curves for the Mando (now API) 55 Amp alternator that MMI sells showing output vs RPM and temperature? I've spent some time digging on the web, and found the manual, but haven't been able to turn up a set of curves yet.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Ed,
    This graph is for the Arco 60050 which is listed on the API site as the same as their 55A as well as the Mando. What ratio are you using to calculate alternator RPM (necessary for the graph to be meaningful)?
    Attached Files
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

How much?

Neil, would the regulator not have a lot to do with RPM vs output? Or is the graph just the "capability of the alt" itself?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The graph presents alternator amperage capacity while a regulator controls the output voltage. Tweaking the output voltage up on manually adjustable regulators* would result in higher amperage output (still within the limits of the graph) but at the risk of high voltage system damage at some point. Our EI ignition system seems to be one of the more sensitive due to massive dwell and its effect on the coil.

*note that the only adjustment available on manually adjustable regulators is voltage because that's all they regulate.

Further comment on the pulley ratio:
        The standard Motorola 35A alternator spins at 1.75x engine RPM. However, my Delco 10Si spins at 1.5x. It's important to measure the pulley diameters (drive and alternator) and calculate your own ratio (drive diameter / alt diameter) before using the graph.

Since Ed brought this up I studied the output curve for my alternator and it revealed something quite interesting. When I bought the alternator it was sold as a 100A Delco 10Si. As part of a necessary internal regulator replacement to tame down the voltage I had it dyno tested. At 2000 RPM (alternator) the output measured a little over 50 amps. Studying the graphs for various Delco alternators, the highest 10Si shown is a 72 amp model and its output at 2000 RPM is only 22 amps while the 12Si 94 amp model is right at 50 amps according to its graph. Since both the 10Si and 12Si are the same physical size and appearance I'm calling mine a 12Si from now on based on measured performance and published data. Applying the pulley ratio discussed above to the 12Si 94A graph, I can expect up to approximately 72 amps output at 2000 engine RPM. Of course I'd have to be abusing my batteries to ever reach that output.
        Last edited by ndutton; 03-27-2016, 04:05 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

The graph in post #2 is very instructive. Most of the available amperage of both alternators kicks in around 4000 rpm. If you cruise around 2000 engine rpm, the 2:1 ratio will set you up nicely.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

As Neil has correctly pointed out, the regulator regulates voltage; amperage is based on what the batteries are calling for. The problem I have run into with steep ratios, alternator to engine, is the load on the engine at start up (before the engine reaches operating temperature) can be substantial and makes me uncomfortable, which is why I abandoned 3:1 and went to 2:1. If someone could come up with a way to delay full amperage output until the engine is warmed up I would consider going back to the 3:1.

Comment

• BadaBing
              • Jul 2007

Assuming an alternator is installed, as mine is, how would I go about measuring the actual amp. output of the alternator? I had my alt made for me by a local alternator shop. The owner/mechanic/wizard knew our atomic 4 engines, the limits on revs and existing drive pulley size. I was asking for 100 amps, which he said was almost impossible to do, partly because of heat generation by the alt itself. He told me he would "take care of my need", then charging my 2 - 4D batteries and powering up my inverter to run the electric water heater. What ever he built it seems to be doing a fine job, I just refer to it as a 100 amp out of habit. I do not run an amp meter, partly because the original was to small and partly because it the location of the gauges would more than double distance and resistance of the charging wire- from alt. to meter - battery switch / battery.

My inverter constantly displays my voltage, which serves to keep me updated on the voltage output of the alt.

It would be nice to be able to know what amperage I am putting out at set RPMS. Just for the sake of knowing. Is this something I could test with an amp meter from alt to ground?

Thanks
              Bill
              1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
              www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

With a shunt type ammeter distance is not a factor. Here's one that will suit your needs. It installs in the alternator output wire.

Do not be alarmed if the reading seems low. Alternator output is determined by the connected battery's State of Charge so unless the battery is dead flat the alternator will probably not be operating at full capacity.
                Last edited by ndutton; 03-27-2016, 05:02 PM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Hanley, does not the regulator control the field of the alternator. You can switch the wire that goes from the regulator to stop the alternator from charging. At least that is the way I understand it.

On my battery select switch there is "field disconnect" terminals. The purpose is to break the field and stop the charging while changing batteries in order to prevent damage to the alternator.

I have a Balmer ARS III regulator. It is made to delay the alternator from charging for a short time. It is about 30 seconds to a minute. I can here when the alternator kicks in after start.

I have been threatening to add a field switch for 15 years. This way I could let the engine warm a bit.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                    Hanley, does not the regulator control the field of the alternator. You can switch the wire that goes from the regulator to stop the alternator from charging. At least that is the way I understand it.

On my battery select switch there is "field disconnect" terminals. The purpose is to break the field and stop the charging while changing batteries in order to prevent damage to the alternator.

I have a Balmer ARS III regulator. It is made to delay the alternator from charging for a short time. It is about 30 seconds to a minute. I can here when the alternator kicks in after start.

I have been threatening to add a field switch for 15 years. This way I could let the engine warm a bit.
                    Yes, the regulator senses voltage and based on what it "sees", it delivers current to the field. At one time I did have a manual "controller" with various resistors and three switches in the event of a voltage regulator failure. Later I used it as a "composite" resistor in the ignition circuit. Problem was it was manual and cannot be used with a regulator. Your regulator with the "delay" is probably the best solution.
                    Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Hanley, why not just have a switch? on/off. You could even have a timer. After running the batteries down, there is quite a load on the engine. Not something I like to do to a cold engine.

Wish I could program that regulator to hold off for 5 minutes.

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Easy to do with a delay-on-make relay such as McMaster-Carr 77055K736. You realize you'll be running off battery power only during the warm up period.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

I guess if it started on battery, 5 more minutes wont make a difference. Thanks Neil.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I use the same timer (different timing range though) on my alarm system and it has performed flawlessly for years. I can't stand buzzer noise on startup like all those smelly diesels. From ignition on to arming my alarm is 10 seconds.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Hanley, why not just have a switch? on/off. You could even have a timer. After running the batteries down, there is quite a load on the engine. Not something I like to do to a cold engine.

I had a look at that delay switch Neil recommended, and I like the idea of a delay. However, that only solves part of the problem; the other part is the sudden enormous output at switch-on. I would also like to increase amp output in stages after warm up and that might be complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X