X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Jerry - How do you feed/sense the tachometer?

Comment

• tac
      • Nov 2015

Circuit Protection

An alternative to the buss connection is to use a fuse panel, like the Blue Sea 5015 for AGC fuses, or the 5028 for ATOs. This gives the ability to provide protection for each branch circuit based on its wire size.
      Attached Files

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
        Jerry - How do you feed/sense the tachometer?
        The - Terminal of the coil fed from the buss bar.
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Shrek
          • Apr 2015

Bus bar in my immediate future

7am at my local marine store tomorrow I will be standing in line for a Blue Sea Systems, bus bar. It will be fed by the main ignition source wire and have all of the stuff on my Christmas Tree coil + terminated on it. It will also have the new wire gong down to the coil + via the 1.2 ohm resistor which will be the only wire directly attached to the coil +ve. (along with the EI +ve.) The coil -ve. will have the Tach. wire and the minus of the EI.
          Will post photos as proof of my intended innocence asap.
          The rigging job has gone well but been delayed by 20 - 30 MPH winds these last 3 days. All standing rigging is replaced, all bronze turnbuckles replaced with S/S and all running rigging being completed tomorrow (wind permitting). Also adding Lazy jacks, and 2 reefing lines for the mainsail, all new mast wiring and LED lighting, new Windex, new flag halyard on the Stbd spreader, and a new VHF antenna and wiring as well.
          Ah well - It's only money !
          Thanks, to everyone for the excellent help and guidance along the way (so far).
          Gordon Foster

Comment

• Shrek
            • Apr 2015

Fingers crossed.

tomorrow will see the end of the new standing / running rigging job and also , hopefully the end of the premature shut down issues.

I used Neil's ballast resistor calculator for my EI and coil and the figures were as follows

Coil resistance with minus wires removed was between 2.9 to 3.1 ohms, so we averaged it out to 3.0 ohms.

Voltage in system at 1000 rpm was 13.77 volts
            Voltage at cruising 2000 rpm was 13.86 volts.

When input to the calculator spreadsheet we arrived at 1.1 to 1.2 ohms ballast resistor requirement. The differences in the figures were due to instability in my multimeter's readings, but the different figures still arrive at basically the same value for the ballast resistor no matter what.

I have today removed the Christmas Tree wiring and installed a Blue Sea Systems Bus on the wall of the engine room to feed the circuits which were on the coil +ve. and then I ran a new purple wire from the bus bar through to the coil +ve via the resistor. The positive going to the EI is the only other wire on the coil +ve.
            The coil negative side carries only the feed to the EI, and the tach wire.
            Hopefully this will be the last of my issue. The engine started and ran fine at the dock - time will tell.
            It did sound strangely smoother though. Perhaps a figment of my imagination ???
            Gordon.
            Last edited by Shrek; 05-10-2016, 12:28 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Shrek View Post
              tomorrow will see the end of the new standing / running rigging job and also , hopefully the end of the premature shut down issues.

I used Neil's ballast resistor calculator for my EI and coil and the figures were as follows

Coil resistance with minus wires removed was between 2.9 to 3.1 ohms, so we averaged it out to 3.0 ohms.

Voltage in system at 1000 rpm was 13.77 volts
              Voltage at cruising 2000 rpm was 13.86 volts.

When input to the calculator spreadsheet we arrived at 1.1 to 1.2 ohms ballast resistor requirement. The differences in the figures were due to instability in my multimeter's readings, but the different figures still arrive at basically the same value for the ballast resistor no matter what.

I have today removed the Christmas Tree wiring and installed a Blue Sea Systems Bus on the wall of the engine room to feed the circuits which were on the coil +ve. and then I ran a new purple wire from the bus bar through to the coil +ve via the resistor. The positive going to the EI is the only other wire on the coil +ve.
              The coil negative side carries only the feed to the EI, and the tach wire.
              Hopefully this will be the last of my issue. The engine started and ran fine at the dock - time will tell.
              It did sound strangely smoother though. Perhaps a figment of my imagination ???
              Gordon.
              Are the voltages in that post taken at coil+, hot and running?

Comment

• Shrek
                • Apr 2015

Yes. As I said in my post first at 1000rpm and second at 2000 rpm to represent cruising approx.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

FWIW

Yes. As I said in my post first at 1000rpm and second at 2000 rpm to represent cruising approx.
                  IMO those voltages are too high for coil+

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Hanley, before this goes too far, it was my interpretation that Gordon's voltage measurements were made to determine a suitable resistor for his system. That is, prior to installation of a resistor.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      Hanley, before this goes too far, it was my interpretation that Gordon's voltage measurements were made to determine a suitable resistor for his system. That is, prior to installation of a resistor.
                      If that is so, then mea big time culpa.

Comment

• Shrek
                        • Apr 2015

Neil is on his game !

Hi Neil - this is becoming confusing, following Cliffords post.

Have I done this correctly - please see my previous 2 posts re. calculations and the new bus bar and resistor location.

I will be making a 5 hour journey on Sat. morning to try and see if this has worked or not.

Is there a further test I can do by measuring at the coil +ve. now that the resistor is in place?

Thanks Neil for your most valuable input.

Gordon Foster aka Shrek.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Hi Neil - this is becoming confusing, following Cliffords post.

Have I done this correctly - please see my previous 2 posts re. calculations and the new bus bar and resistor location.

I will be making a 5 hour journey on Sat. morning to try and see if this has worked or not.

Is there a further test I can do by measuring at the coil +ve. now that the resistor is in place?

Thanks Neil for your most valuable input.

Gordon Foster aka Shrek.
                          Round about hour 3 of the journey put your hand on the coil body while underway, very carefully at first - just in case.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Gordon, it looks to me like you've followed the proven protocol to the letter and with your report that the coil in place has never experienced a shut down I have every confidence you'll have a successful trip free from coil overheating and failure.

Hanley will admit he has never agreed with the work and remedy we developed in 2011 so he has come up with his own solution. Frankly, you'll have to choose one or the other, trying to accommodate both is a sure road to confusion.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Shrek
                              • Apr 2015

Always happy to hear some input.

Your comment did reaffirm that my original voltages were too high.
                              so I hope this resistor will be the end of my issues - We'll find out this Saturday perhaps.

Comment

• Shrek
                                • Apr 2015

Thanks to all who replied this evening

I will post a follow up report with the result - Probably on Sunday !
                                GF

Comment

Working...
                                X