X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Shawn - You make a good point here. The RWC group can get a big benefit from this modification. It's like back flushing and driving the chips and crud out the exhaust pipe.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Hanley, I took my cooling lines apart (I may start a new thread over in the off topic area for fun) to do some 'spring cleaning' and painting of the engine compartment today, so I got to thinking...even if I don't actually get my FWC system installed this spring, I am still considering sending the outflow from the late model head t-stat housing into the back of the manifold and then the forward manifold port would now be the exit to the exhaust system injection point.

Regardless, I will be shifting to cast pieces wherever possible based on Tom's flow analysis of the improvement that said pieces provide. When I pulled my aft manifold fitting today I immediately said to myself, "why did I ever allow that restriction in the system??" - it is funny the continuing education one receives from this great site. - The threads in the aft manifold fitting are 1/2" NPT if I recall, but the silly fitting squished down so far on the hose barbs that it was probably 3/8" or less ID of water actually flowing thru the hose.. - I put it in a ziploc, labeled it and noted, "replace with better flowing fitting ASAP!"
      Last edited by sastanley; 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM. Reason: more details
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

The funny thing about those boxy brass fittings is that they do work if kept clean but in the real world that just does not happen.

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Consider how the cooling lines now cross over the engine, perhaps we could call the mod "The Thatch Weave"?

/ducksandruns

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

bay sludge

Hanley, in this case it was a straight thru barb, but the barb's ID was quite skinny (& clogged), despite the manifold hole being 1/2" NPT...the stuff in the manifold came out with a shop vac, but I am sure it was inhibiting water flow that far away from the pump..not much pressure there I figure.

Here is a pic of the fitting (clamps hanging on the fitting, before I put the hose on) - I am going to replace it with a cast 90 elbow I picked up at my local hardware store for about $5. I got parts for both ends of the manifold for less than $20..I still need to re-read thru Tom's thread to design the side plate improvements. My brain doesn't stay on one task very long, so I make lots of little trips to the hardware store and have lots of small orders from McMaster Carr.

I also noticed some sizeable chunks come off the manifold in the area between the cooling water fitting and the exhaust flange...I hope I can get the FWC assembled to stop the decay before it is too late..it is already an MMI replacement..I assume from lack of care the original failed long ago as well.

P.S.> Hanley, I've been meaning to ask you, what is the turnbuckle attached to in your picture and where does the other end go?!?!?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sastanley; 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM. Reason: asking questions
            -Shawn
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
              Consider how the cooling lines now cross over the engine, perhaps we could call the mod "The Thatch Weave"?

/ducksandruns
              If we can adapt this for maneuvers at sea we might get hired by the brass at the Pentagon. Who says people with A4 gas engines are backward?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Shawn - The turnbuckle is to adjust the hot section "headstay".
                Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Wow...great idea! I worry a little bit about the 10+ lbs of iron hanging off those two little bolts.
                  -Shawn
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

Hanley, I too wondered from the angle what the heck. The new angle certainly eleminate alot of head scratching.
                    Thanx for another bald spot.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

"Oops'

All,
                      After my posts on saturday I disconnected my computer to do some home painting. I did not expect so many questions to crop up but will try to address the ones that have not been delt with.
                      Balti,
                      The concept of having the water enter at the lowest point of any accessory and exiting at the highest point should hold true for components of raw water or fresh water cooling systems. This concept just tries to eliminate as many air pockets as possible.
                      Dave N.
                      Recently there has been some photographic evidence showing bearing damage on the lower main bearing shell, toward the center of the A4's in question. I personally had misdiagnosed this condition as "acid erosion" but have come to believe that the problem was caused by crankshaft flexing caused by "lugging". Because of this, I have come to the conclusion that trying to add any more horsepower to the basic design would be unwise.... On the subject of the hot spot on our manifolds, since there is an un-waterjackted section on the manifold at the #1 exhaust valve, no change in the cooling systen should "cure" this condition.
                      Shawn and Lat64,
                      IMHO, real men don't need facebook.
                      Sincerely, Tom Thatcher (Thatch)

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Tom, sorry I keep screwing up your name in my posts..I made assumptions based on thatch that your last name was hatch, and not thatch. I went back and modified my earlier post where I coined the "Thatch modification" in case it becomes reality some day.

(if it is any consolation, I get lots of people calling me stan or stanley..I even have a guy at work that messed it up so many times he just calls me "Stan Shawnley" now for fun...so, I just roll with it..but as a 'victim' of botched names myself, I wanted to acknowledge and correct it.)
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• thatch
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2009

Shawn,
                          Before retireing, Thatch or Thatcher would be among the the more flattering "lables" I have been given. Although I sincerely appreciate your appologies, I must admit that It's not really your fault. Since some of the discussions tend to become somewhat "heated" at times, It's probably best that finding any of us in the phone book might present somewhat of a challenge.
                          Your Bud, Tom...Whatever.

Comment

• roadnsky
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                            ...It's probably best that finding any of us in the phone book might present somewhat of a challenge.
                            What the hell is a Phone Book?
                            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                            sigpic
                            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• thatch
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2009

"Ouch"

Jerry,
                              Now I really feel old.
                              Tom

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                                Jerry,
                                Now I really feel old.
                                Tom
                                Yeah, I was going to say it's that thing we used to sit you kids up on instead of a booster seat.

Or it's that thing we'd prop up our dial phone up on before that abomination called a Princess phone was developed.

Or it's that book where we'd look up that cute girl's phone number before numbers could be hidden.

Where's my Geritol?
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California
                                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                                X