X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

Seacock size

I have now a 3/4 inch raw water seacocks for the a4. I have removed and will glass over a 1.5 seacock that was a head discharge. Planning on composting toilet in future. My question is whould it benefit the engine at all to have a 1.5 inch inlet over the 3/4. I know that 1.5 is over kill but is 3/4 adiquite. Wat are the thoughts. I would rather not have to enlarge the hole but will if 3/4 is not enough water flow for the pump. Thanks. Btw both seacocks are WC cone type.
  • Ajax
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by azazzera View Post
    I have now a 3/4 inch raw water seacocks for the a4. I have removed and will glass over a 1.5 seacock that was a head discharge. Planning on composting toilet in future. My question is whould it benefit the engine at all to have a 1.5 inch inlet over the 3/4. I know that 1.5 is over kill but is 3/4 adiquite. Wat are the thoughts. I would rather not have to enlarge the hole but will if 3/4 is not enough water flow for the pump. Thanks. Btw both seacocks are WC cone type.
    Be careful not to get "upgrade fever".

My boat originally came with a 1/2" through hull. I upgraded to a 3/4" and removed the 90 degree elbow on the original seacock. This greatly improved flow.

A future owner of my boat, might look at my 3/4" through hull and think "Hm, maybe I should make this bigger!" Before long, you've got a 1-inch through hull for an engine that really doesn't need it.

I've heard of similar "upgrade spirals" happening for standing rigging as well.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by azazzera View Post
      Big enough to allow small marine animals and other assorted debris into the cooling system?

3/4" is plenty big enough.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

3/4" is enough. Note the all the fittings starting at the inlet of the pump and onward are smaller....
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
          Be careful not to get "upgrade fever".

My boat originally came with a 1/2" through hull. I upgraded to a 3/4" and removed the 90 degree elbow on the original seacock. This greatly improved flow.

A future owner of my boat, might look at my 3/4" through hull and think "Hm, maybe I should make this bigger!" Before long, you've got a 1-inch through hull for an engine that really doesn't need it.

I've heard of similar "upgrade spirals" happening for standing rigging as well.
          +1 on all that Ajax said.
          I have a 1/2-inch on my engine intake and it's working fine now, but I got a great deal on 3/4-inch seacocks and will go with that.
          I am just today going to finish the backing plates and prep work for this job. I will post some pics on an old thread I started last fall. I had some poor setups on most of mine.

My cockpit drain is going from 3/4-inch to 1.5 inches. That's a place where bigger is better.
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Ajax
            • Jul 2011

+1 on the cockpit drains.

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
              • Sep 2008

Engine Thru-hull size.

I have my 78 C30 on the hard for bottom paint and a few other maintenance items. I notice that my engine raw water intake is 1/2". The boat originally had a raw water cooled Yanmar 12 HP diesel in it. It now has a fresh water cooled A4. Does anyone know if the A4 requires a 3/4' intake thru-hull?

Mark
              C30 "Kismet"
              Mark
              C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • May 2010

The usual raw water pump is plumbed for 3/8" NPT. That is the limiting size.

Anything larger than that is fine, and 1/2" and 3/4" are pretty standard, leaning towards the 3/4"...
                Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM.
                Jeff

sigpic
                S/V Bunny Planet
                1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mark Millbauer View Post
                  I have my 78 C30 on the hard for bottom paint and a few other maintenance items. I notice that my engine raw water intake is 1/2". The boat originally had a raw water cooled Yanmar 12 HP diesel in it. It now has a fresh water cooled A4. Does anyone know if the A4 requires a 3/4' intake thru-hull?

Mark
                  C30 "Kismet"
                  Mine was 1/2" for 43 years. Works fine. Like I said, I'm just going to 3/4" cause I bought three at a good price. The intake screen was almost filled up with bottom paint too, and it still flowed enough. Just keep it clean and I think you're good.

Rus
                  sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                    Mine was 1/2" for 43 years. Works fine. Like I said, I'm just going to 3/4" cause I bought three at a good price. The intake screen was almost filled up with bottom paint too, and it still flowed enough. Just keep it clean and I think you're good.

Rus
                    That's what happened with me too Russ - good quality 3/4" seacocks came up at a steal...that's my engine "automatic" water intake taking shape in the bilge.

Attached Files

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Inch and a half is enough for mermaids to get in.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Fwiw

The answer to the question depends a lot on how you use your boat. I used to have a 3/4" raw water intake and it worked fine in normal conditions, but in heavy seas I found myself losing prime on the pickup side and I attributed it to hull configuration and minimum capacity in the pickup side. When I went to the 1" thru hull the problem disappeared in even the nastiest conditions.

Comment

• toddster
                          • Aug 2011

The only advantage that I can think of for using the 1.5" as an intake, would be to set it up as a "sea trunk" manifold serving all of your raw-water needs from one valve. Engine, head, wash-down pump... maybe a raw-water pre-wash tap for the galley sink? Personally, I don't think I'd go there.

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
                            • Sep 2008

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stay with the current 1/2" set up for now since it seems to be adequate thus far and the valve seems to be in good shape. As I have in the past with previous boats, I'll upgrade to 3/4 should my valve or thru-hull need some attention.

Mark
                            Mark
                            C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Mark, I replaced my 1/2" RW thru-hull with an open 3/4" for a number of reasons:
                              1. The external grate on the original made it impossible to clear an obstruction from inside the boat by removing the hose, opening the valve and giving it the ole' roto-rooter.
                              2. The grate and small I.D. of the 1/2" thru-hull made it impossible to get bottom paint up inside there to prevent occluding growth.
                              3. I wanted the smallest restriction and therefore the catch point to be a serviceable raw water strainer (Groco ARG-750 in my case) easily accessible in the engine space. Being in SoCal near a major metropolis and commercial harbor we have all sorts of debris and kelp that can obstruct the raw water intake so being able to clear it easily is important.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X