X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wisakedjack
    • May 2015

Reversing gear problem

Hi, guys. I bought 1976 Catalina 30 with Atomic 4 engine this past spring. PO did a lot of work on the engine including rebuild and getting rebuilt gear box. I had few minor issues that I was able to resolve using help from this forum. Many thanks for building such a helpful community and an excellent resource.

Today while coming back to the mooring after a day of sail I was reversing the boat when I heard the change in the engine sound and noticed that propeller shaft was no longer spinning. When I got a chance to inspect the gear box I've noticed that rear coupling shifted aft, so that the tail shaft became visible. I am attaching a picture of what it looks like now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	atomic4_tail_shaft.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	205024

If I hold the read coupling by hand I can slide the tail shaft back into the back of the reversing gear assembly by few inches without much effort. No unusual loud noises were heard when this happened. I am wondering if anyone could make a suggestion on what is the issue here and what it would take to fix it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
    Alex
    1976 Catalina 30
    Perth Amboy, NJ
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Haven't had to deal with one but heard of it. Couple of things you could / should do.
    -ensure the keyway is still intact.
    -there should be a set screw (or two) on the coupling itself.

My efforts would be ensuring the keyway is there and working. Then get the shaft back in.

Next I would remove the set screw and drill an indent hole into the shaft...maybe 1/8 inch. Be careful not to tear up threads...do for both set screws. Put screws back in with lock-tite.

There is also a two piece couple on this site MMI catologue that might be an option for you.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

The shaft coupling is bolted to the transmission flange with 3 bolts. If you remove those bolts, you'll be able to slide the shaft & coupling aft and the transmission flange forward. When you do this, I think you'll find that the nut on the aft end of transmission shaft has come off. The repair could be as easy as reinstalling the nut with a new locking washer. If the threads are damaged, things could get more involved. Oh yeah, there's a key between the flange and the transmission shaft - don't lose it.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
        The shaft coupling is bolted to the transmission flange with 3 bolts. If you remove those bolts, you'll be able to slide the shaft & coupling aft and the transmission flange forward. When you do this, I think you'll find that the nut on the aft end of transmission shaft has come off. The repair could be as easy as reinstalling the nut with a new locking washer. If the threads are damaged, things could get more involved. Oh yeah, there's a key between the flange and the transmission shaft - don't lose it.
        Here's a couple of pics from engines I have sitting in my garage. You can see where the coupler bolts on. I wonder if the bolts were long enough in the first place? I don't see any thread out of the bolts on the coupler where they'd go into the transmission tail flange. The upper pic is of my spare and it has reduction gear...the lower pic is without a reduction gear and should be the same as yours.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mo; 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Here's a picture of the transmission flange showing the big nut in question. I think your nut has come off the tailshaft. Note that in the photo, the 3 ears on the lockwasher have NOT been bent over to retain the nut. When you unbolt the shaft coupling, the washer and the nut should be right there and will probably drop out.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Al, you are right...I can't see anything else there that could have occurred. The nut must be sitting inside the coupling and flange...might even still be on the shaft in place. Just wondering if that shaft will slide right back into place in the gear box without having to open it up?? Must be something that holds the end of the shaft inside the gear box though??

If the whole shaft moved back must have lost pins itn holding arms or maybe they weren't even in there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CCzYqctv0
            Last edited by Mo; 08-31-2015, 12:05 PM.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Wisakedjack
              I can't help you with the trany problem but I would like to extend a big welcome to the forum.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

The good news is that your couplings look clean and new - should be easy to separate. Please take a picture of what you find when you take it apart.

Comment

• Wisakedjack
                  • May 2015

Many thanks for all the comments. I will try your suggestions when I get back to the boat next time. I will keep you posted on my progress
                  Alex
                  1976 Catalina 30
                  Perth Amboy, NJ

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

I'll bet a venti grande skinny mocha latte that the nut is still on a bench somewhere.

Welcome.

Russ
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Might be Russ...but I think it is on the shaft and the little metal corner tapped up on it to prevent it from backing off. Looks like the whole shaft came back...I hope it's an easy repair regardless.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                        Might be Russ...but I think it is on the shaft and the little metal corner tapped up on it to prevent it from backing off. Looks like the whole shaft came back...I hope it's an easy repair regardless.
                        That was my initial reaction, too; but then I saw the key. If the whole shaft came aft the key would still be in the coupling.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                          I'll bet a venti grande skinny mocha latte that the nut is still on a bench somewhere.

Welcome.

Russ
                          That is a dark thought, Russ - which I share.

Comment

• Al Schober
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jul 2009

No, you have to remove the big ball bearing before the tailshaft can come aft. The tailshaft forward of the bearing is a larger diameter. I think all that's come aft is the flange piece with the nose that goes into the bearing and the seal. Sliding it back in may take a little wiggle to get it into the bearing. Again, make sure the key is in place.
                            I've got a drawing here from Paragon Power - perhaps I can scan it. Too bad it's not in the Moyer Manual.

Comment

• Al Schober
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jul 2009

OK, here a scan of the area in question. Took longer than expected, as I had to download the right printer software for my newest computer.
                              Remove three bolts and the shaft and coupling will slide aft together. This will expose the aft face of the transmission flange. As the drawing shows, that piece goes forward through the seal and into the bearing. It has to be keyed to the tailshaft to carry the torque. Forward of the bearing is a large washer and a step in the tailshaft, keeping the tailshaft from moving aft.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X