X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 13jeff13
    • Jan 2011

more pics

That shaft for the forward reverse, ,should I remove that? I need to do some Manual Reading tomorrow before I get in to the Reversing gear Section.
    Attached Files
    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
    1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
    sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
      • Jan 2011

More Pics

All the cylinders were holding KROIL when the head came off,,, and I am still seized,, so I am assuming the rings are froze to the cylinder walls.. as someone here mentioned previously. The cylinder walls all look to be ok,, just a little surface rust,, came off with a little rubbing with my finger.

The KROIL can is EMPTY, and the hand towel machine is at its end.. so, I think I am too for the night.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 13jeff13; 02-21-2011, 02:16 AM.
      With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
      sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
        SO,, I decided to give them hard rusted over bolts another try. Noting the 1/2" was never going to get it, I decided to go ahead and POUND a 7/16" socket on there, and sure enough, off they came.
        Although it's now a moot point, One thing I often try is these cases is a metric socket. Often there's a size that will get a grip on a rusted down bolt head.
        Last edited by edwardc; 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• thatch
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2009

Jeff,
          I notice from your pictures that you have 3 broken side cover bolts that you are going to have to deal with. In the case of the longer of the 3, you may be able to Kroil it and "rattle" it out of its hole. For the other 2 there is a method I use that insures an accurate center drill out. First, flatten the tops of the broken bolts as much as possible, either with a file or small grinder, and then re-install the side plate using all of the good remaining bolts. Now (and this is the trick) using a 11/32" drill bit, drill a small dimple on the top of each broken stud. The factory used this size bit when they drilled the plate, so we are, in essence, using the plate as a centering guide. After you have created this dimple, the drill out process can proceed as usual, using smaller bits and progressing up to the correct size for a cleanout tap.
          Tom

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
            That surface rust, ,How would one attack that? Wire Wheel?
            Yup.

See here.
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Dude I'm jealous. . .My head took days to come off. And you have a hand towel machine in your garage. Also, looks like the head gasket was sealed with something. Or is that the way it should look as the head and block separate? This is my head after sawsall, drilling and hammer and chiseling it off. And, oh yeah, ruining every stud using the wrong stud puller.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jpian0923; 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego
              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• 13jeff13
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                Dude I'm jealous. . .My head took days to come off. And you have a hand towel machine in your garage. Also, looks like the head gasket was sealed with something. Or is that the way it should look as the head and block separate? This is my head after sawsall, drilling and hammer and chiseling it off. And, oh yeah, ruining every stud using the wrong stud puller.

Yep I watched with hope, as you did yours, that I didn't encounter what you did. Very unfortunate, but we all have to play the hand we are dealt. I feel very fortunate so far,, There are still the studs to deal with for me,, and the Pan, and I am Still seized, so who knows what may be ahead.

I got my work bench and that hand towel dispenser years ago when a local gas station went out of business. They all seem to be quick shops now,, no real SERVICE stations.
                Last edited by 13jeff13; 02-22-2011, 02:28 AM.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                  Jeff,
                  I notice from your pictures that you have 3 broken side cover bolts that you are going to have to deal with. In the case of the longer of the 3, you may be able to Kroil it and "rattle" it out of its hole. For the other 2 there is a method I use that insures an accurate center drill out. First, flatten the tops of the broken bolts as much as possible, either with a file or small grinder, and then re-install the side plate using all of the good remaining bolts. Now (and this is the trick) using a 11/32" drill bit, drill a small dimple on the top of each broken stud. The factory used this size bit when they drilled the plate, so we are, in essence, using the plate as a centering guide. After you have created this dimple, the drill out process can proceed as usual, using smaller bits and progressing up to the correct size for a cleanout tap.
                  Tom

Great Tips,, Thanks Tom..,.. I'll Take Pics as I go..

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                  sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by TomG View Post
                    Can you use one of these? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=486979_0_0_

I've had good luck with this tool, I'm just not sure if you access to your particular bolt. The reverse spiral flutes on these sockets actually grip the bolt (or nut) tighter the harder you torque it.

Sorry I couldn't post an image... I'm sending this from my iPad, killing time in the ER at Fisherman's Hospital in Marathon, Florida. (Daughter broke her foot on day 1 of vacation...)

Thanks for the tip Tom,, BUMMER about your daughter, I hope she has a speedy recovery , and Making Memories, that's what vacations are all about. Not like that though

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                    sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                      • Jan 2011

Marching On....

Well, after letting the Bench Beast soak in KROIL for a week, I searched all the local automotive stores for a "C" style valve spring compressor. Finally found what I needed at Sears, $22.95 plus tax. So after a night out with the Family,, I had to give her a try, ,, and one thing lead to another ,, and she is finally apart to the bare block. I will add more pics tomorrow, along with some questions and advice,, directions to go and such.. But here are a few pics I took along the way.

EDIT.. All head bolts came out with a tap tap tap method, KROIL Soaking, and the 18" Pipe wrench needed at the tail end Nut.

A lot of surface rust,, she's been sitting for 3+ years or so,, with an oil/water mix in her belly

Thanks to all for looking, and soon to come advice asking,,
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 13jeff13; 02-27-2011, 04:58 AM. Reason: grammar

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

I hope those valves got labeled and/or are in known order; they have to go back into their original holes - same for the tappets.

Comment

• 13jeff13
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                          I hope those valves got labeled and/or are in known order; they have to go back into their original holes - same for the tappets.
                          Yes they are,, they are just posing for pictures. All Zip Locked and labeled.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                          sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

is this for pulling studs without damaging threads? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=486979_0_0_
                            "Jim"
                            S/V "Ahoi"
                            1967 Islander 29
                            Harbor Island, San Diego
                            2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• 13jeff13
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                              is this for pulling studs without damaging threads? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=486979_0_0_
                              Not sure,, I used an 18" Pipe Wrench on the non threaded part to get them all out rather easily.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                              sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                                • Jan 2011

Just to follow Up..

Hello fellow Afourians. Hope everyone is well. Just to follow up on my "Boom Truck Easy Out" project, I took the Engine Block, Crank, Camshaft / valves, and Pistons to my local machine shop for evaluation today. He was very optimistic about the condition of the block itself as just needing a Good polishing of the cylinders & Hot tanked, Valves looked good and were needing the carbon cleaned off and maybe a valve job. BUT he said the seats looked as if they had very little time on them.. Lapping may be ok,, but plan money wise for the valve job. THE CRANK... well the Main Journals, looked as if they could be polished out, ,some heat scarring,, but still he said it looked like just polishing would be fine. Same story for the Rod Journals,, although they showed no sign of any stress, heat or otherwise. NOW<< FOR THE REST OF THE STORY,, i.e.,, Paul Harvey.

Now keep in mind I did this all during my lunch break from school today,.

I called MMI and conversed with Mellifluous Ken, and he informed me about the shortage of standard sized Main Bearings. I didn't express my disappointment, for the Mains showing the heat signs,, I was hoping for a reason to go ahead with the .0010 under on the crank anyways. .. ALSO,, My camshaft showed signs of some pitting , NOT ON THE LOBES, but just past,, The Machinist,, said he could polish it up and it would be Ok,, Mellifluous Ken said the same thing,,, But when I told the machinist about being able to obtain a cam at the MMI bargain price of $75 bucks.. he said it would be money in my pocket to go that way. And since hot tanking get the Cam Bearings,,, So ,, the Order List gets a little longer,, BUT ,, all in all I am still on target to get this baby up and running in Better than New condition, for Under $1000,, and sweat equity.

Machinist said go home and clean up them cylinder walls in the water jacket, the best I can, he was backlogged about a week,, so next week I will be power washing her up in the driveway the best I can,, I'll take Pics, and he will take her NEXT Friday to do his Handy work. I ASKED,, how much we might be looking at,, and he started plugging numbers into his desktop calculator,, Under, $300 Worse case. HAPPY DAYS. I was hoping for anything under $500,, Your area rates may vary,, but here in the mid west,, Sounds very reasonable to me.
                                Last edited by 13jeff13; 03-05-2011, 02:39 AM.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X