Getting lot's of smoke from the filler pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisMitchell45
    • Nov 2011

Getting lot's of smoke from the filler pipe.

I just changed out my manifold for a cleaned functioning one and everything pertaining to it is now perfect. However since I put everything back together I've noticed a lot more smoke than prior to repair coming from the filler pipe while in neutral and a fog bank while in gear. The engine is not overheating, in fact I have to put it in gear now to get it to 145 (another problem I'll post in the cooling part of the forum). While under load the smoke not only comes from the filler pipe but from somewhere around the accessory drive area as well. It is not exhaust it is oily smoke. Also the oil pressure seems high. It never drops to 25psi but stays around 40 when warmed up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

What you describe, oily smoke from filler tube, sounds like blow-by to me. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
      • Nov 2011

Any idea why it gets significantly worse under load? Thanks.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Smoke

Chris, under load the cylinder preassures are much higher so more is getting by the rings. You could just have one sticking if it happened all of a sudden. Have you had any odd noises while under load?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
          • Nov 2011

No odd noises but a sticking ring makes sense. I'll put some MMO in the cylinders tomorrow and see if that helps.
          Would a blown head do the same thing? I've had the thermostat off and I know it's bolts are head bolts as well. Hope not!

Thanks again..

Chris
          Last edited by ChrisMitchell45; 01-23-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• jpian0923
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Did you replace the "hot section" of the exhaust as well? If so, make sure all connections are sealed well.

Neil might suggest that a pcv system is in order!
            "Jim"
            S/V "Ahoi"
            1967 Islander 29
            Harbor Island, San Diego
            2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
              Did you replace the "hot section" of the exhaust as well? If so, make sure all connections are sealed well.

Neil might suggest that a pcv system is in order!
              I don't have any exhaust leaks at all. The smoke is coming from the oil filler pipe at idle and from the filler pipe and somewhere around the accessory drive under load.

Tomorrow I'll try to find the other source of smoke that's coming from the area around the accessory drive.

Chris

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

These posts may help. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...hlight=blow-by. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...hlight=blow-by Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

Stuck rings

Chris, tossing some MMO in the cylinders may help. I would also mix some in the fuel and get the mix to at least 150:1, remember to include what is in the tank or you can hook up a small aux tank temporarily. I'd run at least 4~5 gallons of fuel this way and then recheck.
                  Did your compression change after adjusting the valves?
                  If you recheck do so with dry cylinders first~no MMO~ then do a check with it. If the numbers don't change it could still be an oil ring on the bottom sticking, and running with some "top-oil" (the 150:1 or even a bit richer) should eventually free it up.
                  Another note is to double check the timing IE to much advance may make it feel a bit more "spunky" however the additional advance will create much more blowby.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                    Chris, tossing some MMO in the cylinders may help. I would also mix some in the fuel and get the mix to at least 150:1, remember to include what is in the tank or you can hook up a small aux tank temporarily. I'd run at least 4~5 gallons of fuel this way and then recheck.
                    Did your compression change after adjusting the valves?
                    If you recheck do so with dry cylinders first~no MMO~ then do a check with it. If the numbers don't change it could still be an oil ring on the bottom sticking, and running with some "top-oil" (the 150:1 or even a bit richer) should eventually free it up.
                    Another note is to double check the timing IE to much advance may make it feel a bit more "spunky" however the additional advance will create much more blowby.

Dave Neptune
                    I haven't touched the valves or the timing only the manifold. The engine is still running fine it's just throwing a bunch of smoke but I will follow your suggestions tonight as well.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

oops

Chris, I got you crosse with another thread in which he had dione a compression check. Just disregard that and try the fuel oil part if you wish.

Curiosity, did the heavy smoking just hap0pen or has it been building up?

The smoke can get out of the filler, dipstick hole, slash tube and the front of the engine by the non sealed crank "vent" at the front of the engine behind the flywheel. Note the flywheel can toss the smoke out all the way around the flywheel cover. I think anywhere else would be problimatic.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
                        • Nov 2011

I didnt think about the dipstick tube! That's probably the other area where it is coming from. I'll check here in a few minutes.
                        Last edited by ChrisMitchell45; 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• jpian0923
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Oil pressure at 40 psi is good. Worry if it goes below 10.

What torque values did you use on manifold bolts?
                          Did you seal manifold gasket with permatex #2?
                          Is breather tube attached?
                          Is flame arrestor clean?
                          "Jim"
                          S/V "Ahoi"
                          1967 Islander 29
                          Harbor Island, San Diego
                          2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Have you noticed any milkey coloring in the oil or any increase in it's level on the dipstick?

Comment

• ChrisMitchell45
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                              Have you noticed any milkey coloring in the oil or any increase in it's level on the dipstick?
                              No water in the oil and the level has for the most part remained the same, maybe a bit lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X