• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
    It sounds like the instruments are grounded TO the alternator, which is not really the best place for that.
    Both the 35 and 50 amp alternators that came stock on A4s ground through the case to the engine. They would not have a ground wire added to them nor need one.
    Has anyone ever tested the resistance thru the engine block? Might the value vary depending on where the connection to batt (-) is made?

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

That might possibly be a problem, especially if there is a lot of corrosion on the bolts.
      What I would do:
      Connect the ground wire to the engine close to the starter, not on the far side of the engine. Run a ground wire from the alternator to the same bolt that the engine ground wire connects to.
      Keep in mind a very large percentage of boats and cars ground through the block, so this is not a huge problem. Not that it can never happen, but probably 95% or more of A4s don't have a separate alternator ground with no issues. If you want to check, put the alternator under load and use a voltmeter between the alternator ground and the ground wire connection to the engine. That will tell you the voltage drop through the engine block.

* there once was an issue with PT-6 turboprop engines where on some airplanes the ground wire was connected to a point that made the starter/generator current go through a bearing and corrode it causing engine failure. I have never heard of this happening to a boat, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        That might possibly be a problem, especially if there is a lot of corrosion on the bolts.
        What I would do:
        Connect the ground wire to the engine close to the starter, not on the far side of the engine. Run a ground wire from the alternator to the same bolt that the engine ground wire connects to.
        Keep in mind a very large percentage of boats and cars ground through the block, so this is not a huge problem. Not that it can never happen, but probably 95% or more of A4s don't have a separate alternator ground with no issues. If you want to check, put the alternator under load and use a voltmeter between the alternator ground and the ground wire connection to the engine. That will tell you the voltage drop through the engine block.

* there once was an issue with PT-6 turboprop engines where on some airplanes the ground wire was connected to a point that made the starter/generator current go through a bearing and corrode it causing engine failure. I have never heard of this happening to a boat, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
        That is exactly how I make the connection.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
          The MMI information is for the basic 35 amp alternator . . . .
          Looks to me like that's what Ben has.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
          X