X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Fuel Pump works I think

The other day my engine ran as rough as it could without shutting down. I got back to the slip and turn it off. After squaring away the boat I tried to start the engine. No go it sounded like it was not getting any fuel.
    I dont think I have a oil safety switch. At least one that looks like the picture. My sending unit has 3 terminals on tops, one leads to the fuel pump and 2 leading back to the who know where.
    1) Fuel pump works if I connect a jumper wire from the battery to the sending unit terminal. Clean fuel.
    2) I took the carb apart and found very little fuel. cleaned it while I was there and adjusted the choke cable.
    3) I am not sure that my fuel pump is coming on when I turn the key. I cannot hear it click and my pressure gauge doesn't move. Any way to know for sure other than hauling someone with me to crank the motor while I sit at the engine?
    Thanks
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

if you have an oil pressure switch the fuel pump does not run until there is oil pressure. So turning the key would not send it voltage.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
      3) I am not sure that my fuel pump is coming on when I turn the key. I cannot hear it click and my pressure gauge doesn't move. Any way to know for sure other than hauling someone with me to crank the motor while I sit at the engine?
      Thanks
      Get a remote starter switch. Their worth their weight in gold. (Well almost anyway). You can use the remote starter switch battery -> fuel pump for testing the fuel pump. On a advantage is the remote switch can be hooked up with no worry about sparks. I'd get the OPSS out of the picture until you get this figured out. The OPSS itself may be shorted out internally somehow to one of the other terminals or something strange like that.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

You could also override the OPSS by running a permanent jumper from the "R" terminal on the solenoid.

Comment

• Golfdad75
          • Sep 2014

I dont think I have a opss. I have a sending unit coming out of the block. If my key does not turn on the fuel pump. (I know it works by using a jumper wire. Where should I look for the short. I have 3 terminals on top of my sending unit,

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

I dont think I have a opss. I have a sending unit coming out of the block. If my key does not turn on the fuel pump. (I know it works by using a jumper wire. Where should I look for the short. I have 3 terminals on top of my sending unit,
            Any chance of a picture of the "Sending Unit"?
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

I dont think I have a oil safety switch. At least one that looks like the picture. My sending unit has 3 terminals on tops, one leads to the fuel pump and 2 leading back to the who know where.
              1) Fuel pump works if I connect a jumper wire from the battery to the sending unit terminal (OPSS???). Clean fuel.
              Thanks
              The fuel sending unit would be in the tank connected to a gauge that tells you how full\empty the tank is.
              From your description you have a three terminal OPSS. One terminal is power to the OPSS, one terminal is normal open connected to the fuel pump, and one terminal is normal closed connected to a low oil pressure alarm or connected to ?????.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Golfdad75
                • Sep 2014

Right I have 3 terminals, one goes to the fuel pump, the other two go back to the starter and or coil. How can I take the switch out of the loop to isolate the problem. Again I dont think I have a safety switch. Just an oil pressure sending unit.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

I'm Getting Some Visibility Now

Right I have 3 terminals, one goes to the fuel pump, the other two go back to the starter and or coil. How can I take the switch out of the loop to isolate the problem. Again I dont think I have a safety switch. Just an oil pressure sending unit.
                  You can bypass the OPSS a couple of ways. (A) Pull the wire to the fuel pump off the OPSS and connect it to a wire from battery +. (B) Connect the wire to the fuel pump to the wire from coil + and turn the key on.
                  Here's what your set up is on the OPSS: One wire from coil +, one wire to the fuel pump, and one wire from the starter. This wire is energized when the starter is turning so the pump is pumping while the engine is being cranked and the oil pressure is low. From your description the oil pressure sending unit is somewhere else.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Golfdad75
                    • Sep 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil sending unit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	197676 This is what I have not my engine but same set up.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

The OP sending unit is the big one. The OPSS is the little one with the two red wires going to\from it

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Golfdad75
                        • Sep 2014

Okay now is there a possiblity that my switch has gone bad not allowing the pump to run when I turn the key on?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

Okay now is there a possiblity that my switch has gone bad not allowing the pump to run when I turn the key on?
                          Yes. If the "switch" is the key it may be not working. If the "switch" is the OPSS it will not pass electricity unless the oil pressure is up.
                          Bypass or short across the OPSS before you make this determination. See post #2.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Golfdad75
                            • Sep 2014

Thanks for the help

Now I have decided that my fuel pump runs, good fuel is coming out, the switch is fine. Now the only thing is when I look into he carb there in NO gas. The plugs are not wet. I assume the float needle is stuck.

Comment

Working...
                            X