X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

The problem with using stainless steel for exhaust is that it sets up a galvanic cell with it being the cathode (more noble) and the first piece of steel or cast iron going to the manifold becoming the anode (less noble) - hence the failure of the steel adapter. Be happy it was just the adapter which is easily replaced. I would still be worried about mixing metals in the presence of salt water which is always being injected into the system.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I was wondering about that. What if you put a zinc on there somehow?
      Meanwhile, I think I'll make another exhaust and swap them out 3-4 years from now instead of waiting for it to leak again. I am a bit frustrated that the original iron exhaust lasted over a decade, they seem to keep getting worse and worse.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Slightly unrelated, I rebuilt the support structure for the swim platform on my powerboat, which is built out of the same SS pipe as a bimini is made of. I put a zinc on each leg that goes underwater and connects to the bronze fitting bolted to the hull.
        Attached Files
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Well done Shawn. The key component = being immersed in an electrolyte.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Slightly unrelated, I rebuilt the support structure for the swim platform on my powerboat, which is built out of the same SS pipe as a bimini is made of. I put a zinc on each leg that goes underwater and connects to the bronze fitting bolted to the hull.
            I see your boat Shawn and the name...well I think of "Dock Holiday"...no disrepect intended being on a dock, but it has a ring to it.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              Well done Shawn. The key component = being immersed in an electrolyte.
              Neil, When we bought this boat in July 2022, and then hauled it in Dec 2022, there were no zincs left anywhere on the boat, except some small nodules on the trim tabs. There had been two on each prop shaft, a pancake on each rudder, and a pancake on each trim tab.
              I asked the previous owner how often he replaced the zincs..
              His response.. "When did you buy the boat..July??? That is about the time I would get my dive gear on and put new zincs on everything after launching in March".

I said, "OK, thanks for the info", thinking he just thought that was normal and was putting band aids on a problem. I know more zincs are NOT the permanent answer if he was rolling thru them from March to July, and there is more at play. However, those zincs on the swim platform I can see from the dock, so I have a little piece of mind...however, they are not bonded to other parts of the boat. (as far as I know, nothing on this boat is bonded...that is an entirely different discussion. ) I do not know if the previous owner shore power was suspect, etc. etc. blah blah blah...but I will get to the bottom of it. I need to short haul here at the end of the season for some answers. The boat is in a different location, different shore power, (I do not always have the boat plugged in), all that stuff.

Sorry for the hijack.

Originally posted by Mo View Post
              I see your boat Shawn and the name...well I think of "Dock Holiday"...no disrepect intended being on a dock, but it has a ring to it.
              Ha...none taken Mo! We are still looking for a boat name. This is the last picture I remembered to take as I was grinding the transom off. Y'all got to see the cart before the horse in this thread.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sastanley; 09-27-2023, 08:40 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X