• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Exhaust wrap

I am starting to put my exhaust back together. A couple of questions
    I have a bronze hot section. The only corrosion was the nipple connecting the exhaust flange with the rest. Do I need to find a bronze nipple or can I use black pipe? Should I use exhaust wrap? I have none on my hot section.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
      I am starting to put my exhaust back together. A couple of questions
      I have a bronze hot section. The only corrosion was the nipple connecting the exhaust flange with the rest. Do I need to find a bronze nipple or can I use black pipe? Should I use exhaust wrap? I have none on my hot section.
      First time I've heard of a bronze riser section. Stands to reason the steel nipple would take the beating since it is thinner than the flange and less noble than the riser. If you must have the bronze section it is probably best to get a bronze nipple if you can find one. You might have to settle for red brass and keep an eye on the galvanic cell going forward. I agree with the use of exhaust wrap mainly for safety.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

The wrap does 2 things first it keep you safe incase you bump it while it is hot and 2 it insulates the exhaust reducing the radiated heat in the engine box, both good things .

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
        X