X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Eyes
    • Jun 2010

ethanol

I too experienced several starting problems and spent a $1000 in mechanic and parts costs trying to solve the issue to insure dependable engine operation.
    Shell engineers in Canada have assured me that Shell Super Gasoline does NOT contain ethanol.
    I use Shell Super exclusively in the Atomic 4 and my cars.
    The engine starts perfectly.
    aloha

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Dave - I like your procedure. Perhaps it can help in developing a built in tube with small independent pump for routine "bottom" purging. Maybe this belongs on the Wish List? Cheers, Hanley

Comment

• Breezysc1
        • Apr 2010

fuel tank

I have a 1979 Pearson 30. It's been giving me a headache since summer 09.

I think I have the same problem as everyone else. Junk in the tank.

I have replaced carb, fuel pump and filter. I have ran her several times and the filter has more crap in it. So the only thing I can think to do is to get a new tank and put regular gas in it?

What kind of tank would you recommend buying and how do I go about getting it out???

Thanks,

Richelle

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Dave,

I also like your procedure relative to keeping water (and crud) out of your tank. Your experience is consistent with a statement I read in one of the earlier reports on Ethanol almost 5 years ago (before it became such a political hot button) which concluded with the statement that in the absence of water, serious problems with 10% Ethanol fuel are almost unheard of. Fortunately, sail boat builders (for whatever reason) seemed to avoid fiberglass tanks, so the problem with fiberglass never took a very big toll within the Atomic 4 fleet.

Don

Comment

• domenic
            • Jul 2010

Don, can you build a carb, and fuel pump that is easy to clean out?

I am taking out my fiberglass tank,( which now leaks) and replacing it with a 6 gal plastic one.
            I will only put in what I think I will use for the day.
            After I sail, and am back at the dock, I will shut off the fuel tank, and let the engine run out of gas...anything left in the tank I will disguard.
            I am designing a filter for the gas tank vent which I think will pervent the ethionol from sucking water from the air.
            If it works, I will post what I have done.

Comment

• domenic
              • Jul 2010

What to do.....?

This is a good read...

Boat Engines - Dangers and Precautions Necessary with E10 Ethanol ...
              ... weight of the ethanol and water will sink to the bottom of the fuel tank ... with an alcohol fuel test kit to make sure ethanol ... etc.) water does exist in your tank. Since water is ...

https://www.evinrude-parts.com/boat_...recaution.html · Cached page

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I *HATE* alco-crap-gas.
                Among other things, it requires taking the lawnmower carb apart to unclog it and the same with the outboard. It isn't obvious just what is in there, but it sticks the needle valve closed.
                On my boat, I replaced all the fuel lines with AN lines and fittings. These are the braided stainless steel lines with blue and red fittings you see on race cars and airplanes. They can stand 100% alcohol, so they should be good for a long time. What seems to happen to rubber fuel hose is the alcohol makes it brittle and very hard to get off a hose barb without ripping the hose up. I recently discovered a very dangerous situation with my fuel filler line and elbow fitting. It was dissolving from the inside out and dropping rubber flakes into the gas, which did a real good job clogging the pickup tube. I would have never figured it out, but I got a couple vacuum gauges on Ebay and they told the tale. I have one on the inlet side of the Racor and one on the outlet side. Too much vacuum on the outlet = clogged filter and too much on both gauges = clog back at the tank.
                Besides for the intake hose dissolving, a rubber elbow C&C used at the tank started leaking, so when you filled up some gas went on the tank instead of in it
                I replaced that with a welded aluminum elbow.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• policecentral
                  • Jun 2007

Small Gas Tank

This is a re-post of a prior:

Years ago I decided to not worry about stale gas and condensation. I drained the onboard gas tank that holds about 30 gallons. Then, I got a sturdy five gallon gas can, and attached an internal syphon tube and gas line connector. This "portable" gas can is lashed in the port side lazarette.

To fill, I simply remove the can onto the dock and top off. This means that I do day-sailing with five gallons on board, and the more frequent refilling assures relatively fresh gasoline. For extended cruising, I simply reattach the gas line to the larger tank and fill up. I have had absolutely no problems with heeling, spilling, gas fumes etc. My bilge blower also ventilates that lazarette. Whenever necessary, I can completely empty the "fiver" and start with fresh gas -- of course complete with MMOil.

It's a great solution that works for me -- no condensate, and no stale gas, and I believe less tendency to varnish the carburetor. Coast Guard did vessel inspection recently and did not say a word...

Update: When through using the boat for a while, I just disconnect the gas line while the engine is running and let it run all the gas out of the line and drain the bowl. You can also put a primer bulb in the line if you want, but I have found that the carb will suck gas from the line after only a few moments of cranking...

For extended range I reattach the line to the main fuel tank, fill up and go.

Policecentral
                  Ranger 30 Northern Light
                  Savannah, GA

Comment

• Dennis Mominee
                    • Oct 2009

My local radiator repair facility will clean a 20 gal. gas tank and coat the inside of the tank for about $150. They claim that the coating is not affected by alcohol.

For winter storage, would it be practical to purge the gas tank with nitrogen to reduce water absorption?

Comment

Working...
                    X