• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Carb Blockage

Was having some carb issues. Took it home and opened it up. The "Well Vent Jet" was plugged with some white powdery substance. Any idea what that could be?
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The white powdery deposit are usually indicative of moisture deposits mostly from ethanol type fuels that have absorbed water. Adding top oil of some sort to the fuel will help to alleviate the deposits however the moisture will still be there. Check for water in your fuel/water separator filter if so equipped.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

The biggest water separator that you have is your fuel tank. The water that separates out will settle in the bottom of the tank, not causing issues until it rises to the level of the fuel pickup - perhaps an inch from the bottom of the tank.
      I learned to make it an annual thing to pump a gallon from the bottom of the tank (NOT using the fuel pickup) into a glass jug. In the jug it's easy to see the water/fuel separation line. Put the fuel back in the tank and discard the water.
      I was able to access the bottom of my tank through the fuel fill. A length of 1/4" tube (I used copper) and a small hand pump did the trick.
      This is also a good time to check the integrity of the O-ring seal on the fuel fill cap.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

I have started using fuel injector cleaner in boat fuel tanks.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Hi-jack

Wow, Hanley good to see your name on a post again. Still have the H28?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Actually a Bermuda 30 (a spinoff version).

Comment

Working...
            X