X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenGwyn
    • Jul 2012

Manifold plumbing fittings sealant/tape

OK the answers should be obvious, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm installing a new manifold. There are two 1/2" NPT fitting on the top for the coolant to go through the manifold. After a fight, I got both out of the old manifold. Both have a fair amount of crud and I don't pla n re-using either. It's a bit hard to tell with the 40 years of paint and corrosion, but one was probably brass and one was steel of some kind.

1) What material should they be? Brass? Stainless?
    2) What goes on the threads? Teflon tape? Some sort of sealant?

SG
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

I have used brass, mostly because it looks nice. Regular iron would be fine too, stainless if you have money, but it's hardly necessary. The parts are cheap enough to play around. I use Teflon plumbers tape for ease of removal and sealing. Pipe goop or orange RTV would work too, but isn't repositionable once it sets up.

I think the consensus view is to use close nipples and cast elbows to maximize flow, not the machined square ones. That said, our host shows some nice brass square ones on the panoramic view, and I'm sure they're fine.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

I always use bronze or red brass street fittings. Close nipples are too thin and subject to breakage after vibration.

Comment

Working...
      X