X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

If I were buying - or selling - an Atomic 4 the deal would require compression and water jacket pressure tests. Although no guaranty over the long term, they'll indicate immediate problems.

That said, I did neither with my spare engine. I figured since it was free and no shipping expense, where's the risk?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Hi,
      I've been following this thread with a tad of interest to see where it goes. Personally, I'd just send the block out as it is and have someone re-sleave and do short rebuild to it.

It's too bad that your engine didn't work out but you need something that will get you home if worst comes to worst...may as well know what you have.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• The Garbone
        • Dec 2013

Stud thickness and block health

Ok, I have been avoiding working on the motor for a few weeks, instead opting to spend time on other things and just relaxing after I get home for work.

Last weekend Harbor Freight had a tent sale and I purchased a stud removal tool for the grand sum of $2.97.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

So now in possession of the proper tool I proceeded to remove said studs today.

Most of them have 4 or more threads remaining except for #2 on the water jacket side.

Is this indicative of a too thin block? Will it take a re-sleeve?
        Gary
        78' Catalina 30 #1179
        www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• Loki9
          • Jul 2011

That's normal for an A4. I found the same thing when I rebuilt my A4:

The studs protrude into the water jacket and thus the ends corrode away. You have three full threads there, so it could be used awhile longer. Of course, the best thing is to replace them while you have it all apart.
          Jeff Taylor
          Baltic 38DP

Comment

• fundysailor
            • Jun 2014

Along the same lines...

Found this discussion while looking for causes of water in the manifold. The intake manifold, in my case. Pulled the manifold off - it appears fine with no leaks apparent when tested off the engine. I did notice rust in the intake ports of the block, so guess the water is coming in via the block or head gasket? No sign of water in the oil, so guess that's good. Any thoughts on this? I'd pull the head off but seriously doubt the amount of rust on the bolts will make that very easy, or even possible without replacing a few studs.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

If the manifold pressure tests for 20 psi start looking at the 3 studs that hold it to the block. They all go into the water chamber and should be sealed on the threads with Permatex #2 goo.

Comment

Working...
              X