Do you have a two or three blade prop, and does it fold, feather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Indigo in an aperature

I've had a 13x8 two blade on and couldn't get up to speed at all. When it came to "puttering around", that prop takes the cake. I switched to the Indigo and have been quite pleased with the performance.

This is on an Alberg 35. (full keel/prop in aperature). The 13x8 was off a smaller (but very similar) Triton which also had an Atomic 4. It was a marriage of convenience...

I'd love to get my hands on a 12x7 two blade that I could hide in the enormous deadwood behind the keel. I don't race, but with so much light air sailing (Chesapeake) I'd like to do whatever I can to minimize drag.

From other posts and experiences I've gathered the following wisdom:
    Atomic 4's on heavier boats like mine need the Indigo.
    Smaller boats can get away with some incorrect props (Triton- really? a 13x8?)
    Racers need something floppy or folding.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by msauntry View Post
      I'd love to get my hands on a 12x7 two blade that I could hide in the enormous deadwood behind the keel. I don't race, but with so much light air sailing (Chesapeake) I'd like to do whatever I can to minimize drag.
      Micah, I have a perfectly good 12 x 7 Michigan wheel two-blade prop I took off my Catalina (1" shaft). I discovered I didn't bother to hide the two-blade behind the keel when sailing so the extra drag of the Indigo isn't really noticeable to me.

I'll sell it cheap!!!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• JB1528
        • Aug 2009

I have no frame of reference since the PO had already replaced the two blade (found it in the spares) with the Indigo. There is still significant prop walk and I chose my slip to take advantage of it. I generally apply power in reverse just enough to make way, then coast in neutral until until the propwalk won't put me into the dock, then put it back in reverse and finish my turn.

Going forward, I am at hull speed (Catalina 27) doing about 2000 rpm or so which is about what they claim I think. When I return to the dock the prop stops me well and the propwalk snuggles me into the dock like I knew what I was doing.

Jim
        Last edited by JB1528; 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• msauntry
          • May 2008

Shawn,
          Thanks for the offer! I'll keep it in mind and see if I can get my hands on a shim for the taper since I've got a 7/8 shaft.

Comment

• old-sailer
            • Nov 2011

I have the 3 blade, but have no idea who made it or where it came from.

I took it in to our local prop-shop and he tweaked it a bit changing the pitch for better performance so he says.. I guess I'll find out.

I really don't see spending the huge amount of money for a feathering prop to gain what...?? 1/2 a knot.
            Mike
            1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• redlion500
              Frequent Contributor
              • Sep 2014

It looks like I have the original prop that came with my boat - a 2-blade Michigan Sailor 13 RH 8 with a stamp of "6 75" on it. It's in good shape, performance is fine in fwd, no issues with drag during sailing, but it's unpredictable in reverse.

I'm also looking to change, as I usually have a brisk cross-wind backing out of my slip. I like the idea of the 3-blade Maxprop for better performance in reverse, but its a pricey item. Need to look into the Martec props in more detail and continue to follow this thread. I'll make a call after this season and install something different. Thanks to all for the commentary - very helpful.

Mike
              A4 in a Bristol 27 'MarciLee'

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

3 blade fixed.

I don't have allot of pics of the prop. This is one taken as Odyssey came out, maybe 2 years ago. I paint the prop with Americoat ABC#4 bottom paint. Have not had any growth issues and haven't noticed and performance issues.

The prop is 12/6 and I find it pushed the boat really well in moderate seas. I can't say she's ever been under engine is true storm conditions although I've sailed her in 45 kts back in 2009. Normal sea chop with winds and subsequent seas associated with 25 -30 kts she does really well.

Another added feature I like is the ability to stop the boat docking with adverse wind conditions affecting the boat...it really does do a nice job.

Generally, I feather the prop underway sailing with the engine shut down. I know this is perhaps not the preferred or recommended method to be underway. I love that extra bit of speed and am prepared to deal with any issues that might arise for my indiscretion on that matter. It really hurts the boat racing and without 15 kts of wind it's more like dragging a bucket LOL.

For me, it's benefits outweigh the adverse affects, particularly with my sailing habits. I've never tried the indigo but am sure they do a fine job as well.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mo; 05-10-2015, 06:00 AM.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

After horsing around with props for 20+ years I finally got the one that works perfectly on Destiny (2:1 reduction drive) - 3 blade, 12x12. Yeah, I painted it with no issues. Thanks, Dan.
                  Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

Hanley, does that mean you'll send back my 2 blade from a while back?

Destiny looks good!

What kind of RPM's do you get at around 5~8" of vac?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                      Hanley, does that mean you'll send back my 2 blade from a while back?

Destiny looks good!

What kind of RPM's do you get at around 5~8" of vac?

Dave Neptune
                      Dave - I will absolutely send that prop back. It is a dandy and deserves to be on a good boat. PM me a shipping address (CRS is getting worse). I can easily reach 2600 rpm but prefer to cruise around 2200 rpm - can't remember where I wrote the vacuum numbers. I'll get back later on that when I find them.

Comment

• BadaBing
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dvd View Post
                        I installed a 2 blade martec on my cal 3-30 with an A-4 and it made a big difference. I am winning beer can races all the time now. (I also put an new fast bottom on her at the same time) If you want to sail your boat alot its the only way to go. They are a little pricey but the martec is the only financially sane option if you dont want drag while sailing. I purchased mine from Martec and it was about $800.00. I think you can spend over $3000.00 for a high tech feathering prop but if you have a boat with an A-4 something like that would not be worth it. If I had to do over again I would buy the martec again in a hearbeat.

DVD
                        Please explain " fast bottom"
                        Bill
                        1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                        www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BadaBing View Post
                          Please explain " fast bottom"
                          http://www.practical-sailor.com/issu...m_10706-1.html I can remember some of the Rhodes 19 guys doing this in Edgartown.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                            • Dec 2012

channging my 3 blade for 2 blade

Hi folks
                            posting here rather than starting new thread - (correct etiquette, right?)
                            My boat is big and heavy by A4 standards, 36', 8 ton, but slim. It has a big 3 blade, and I hate to see the turbulence in my wake. I'm sure I lose most of a knot. And it has horrendous prop walk.
                            I'd like to switch out to a 2 blade - I doubt I can accomodate a folding due to the ovoid window - see pic. I have a V drive, and I *believe* its a 2: 1. 1" shaft. What are the specs of the two blade I should be looking for?
                            Attached Files
                            "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

This may help. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6148 The link in post #3.
                              Your boat is larger and heavier than the MC but I believe they are of similar construction. Wood, full keel, prop in aperture etc. When I switched from a 2 blade to a 3 blade everything improved. More control, stopping power, happier A-4 with RPM/vac#/speed balance. Only draw back was I could not "hide" the prop.
                              Dan S/V Marian Claire
                              Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-13-2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                                • Dec 2012

I've been scouring the older threads. I cruise nicely at 2000, 2500 when I'm in a hurry, and 3000 in an emergency. So it seems my prop is well suited to my vessel. Not a surprise, the owner builder was a NASA engineer and seems to have done everything right or overbuilt. Still, reversing is sideways and the drag bothers me. But perhaps I should just tun my attention to other problems - of which there are, of course, always a list. Hey, what do you expect with a 50 year old boat

Originally posted by Mark S View Post
                                Art,

Do you have direct drive or reduced drive? My boat is 35 feet and weighs 13,000 lbs. and I can't get above 1900 rpm with a direct driven Indigo. With the previous 13x8 I couldn't get above 1500 rpm. I'm beginning to think that the direct drive A4 is simply not strong enough to push boats this size.

Mark
                                "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

Working...
                                X