X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superiorcruising
    • Feb 2024

cutter or grinder for rusty pitted exhaust valve seat

A friend gave me a 1969 Cal 2-30 hull #16 with an engine that needs a bit of attention and a lot of little TLC type bits and pieces, but wow, what a nice boat! I can't wait to launch this spring!!

I'm looking for a tool to cut or grind a new exhaust valve seat on cylinder 2 and cylinder 4. I've searched the forums and there are lots of mentions of tools and cutters or grinders for repairing valve seats, but I didn't find any specifics for the tools being used. I'd like to buy or rent a set of tools for seat repair, but so far I have failed to find the right combination of cutter size and shaft to work on the atomic 4.

Does anyone know where I can buy or rent such a tool? A part number for a tool kit would be super helpful!

Fair winds,

Don
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Go to this site: https://goodson.com/

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

In the past there were quite a few auto parts houses that rented tools and those that had a machine shop would readily rent what you seek. Unless you have some machining skills or at least a good understanding of what you are doing it may be best to look for a "traveling mechanic" that works out of his truck or possibly a marine mechanic. The Parts required are readily available on this site so if you have them persuading a mechanic to the boat would be much easier. Cutting the seat or grinding it is not a really big deal on a flathead motor. If you have descent access over the offending valve seat so much the better. A descent mechanic should be able to cut and lap the seat in in less than a half hour and about 20 minutes for each additional seat. You can easily assemble it yourself so the travel and time on site should be minimal. It may be worth looking into. All you have to do is have it apart for him to work on.

Goodson has good quality tools available at reasonable prices but your skills are the question in that scenario. I actually made valve tooling for Goodson and many other suppliers in my companies OEM carbide tool manufacturing.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by superiorcruising View Post
        A friend gave me a 1969 Cal 2-30 hull #16 with an engine that needs a bit of attention and a lot of little TLC type bits and pieces, but wow, what a nice boat! I can't wait to launch this spring!!

I'm looking for a tool to cut or grind a new exhaust valve seat on cylinder 2 and cylinder 4. I've searched the forums and there are lots of mentions of tools and cutters or grinders for repairing valve seats, but I didn't find any specifics for the tools being used. I'd like to buy or rent a set of tools for seat repair, but so far I have failed to find the right combination of cutter size and shaft to work on the atomic 4.

Does anyone know where I can buy or rent such a tool? A part number for a tool kit would be super helpful!

Fair winds,

Don
        Can you tell us a bit more about whats wrong with those valves/seats? Perhaps a picture?

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Last engine I went through, I looked at the same thing. I wasn't able to find a 'portable' mechanic, and also considered buying multiple tools from Goodson.
          Ended up taking the block to a machine shop. I had them do the valves, valve seats, and also install a pipe plug in the side of the gear case (Kaminsky modification).
          Valve came out like new. Intake seats cleaned up nicely with a multi-angle grind. Exhaust seats were too far gone so the shop installed carbide inserts in the block (no extra charge).
          This is one of those jobs where it may be worth it to do it right the first time.
          Last edited by Al Schober; 03-16-2024, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X