X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weremeer
    • Sep 2009

removing transmission.

I have been having a problem with my transmission. I dropped the retainer pin into the transmission and went chasing it with a magnet. I used a portable magnet on a string and lost the magnet in the bottom of the tranny. I then bought a telescoping magnet, got the retainer pin, but did not get the other magnet. I put the retainer pin on and moved the spiney wheel a grove or two,tightened it and ran the engine. I could not get it to go into gear. I moved the wheel a couple of natches until it would go into gear, tightened the retainer pin, and ran the engine, no go. I went back down to the transmission and found the gear wheel loose, the plates loose and I guess I need to take it apart to put it together again, or buy a direct drive unit from you. I took off the coupling, I took off the screws on the back of the transmission. But I have not been able to take off the big bolt on the back. What else do I have to do? Can I take the back plate with the bolt on it off, or do I have to remove the bolt. I have taken two bolts from the coupling and attached them to the rear to get the big bolt off so it would not turn. I tried hammering the back plate to see if it would come off without removing the bolt, but it does not want to come off. I tried plying the back plate off from the inside, but no go.
    Last edited by weremeer; 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

I think you are referring to the big nut on the back of the trans. You have to get it off. Go to the Moyer Marine online catalogue under "Specialty Tools" and check out TOOL 07-136.

Comment

• weremeer
      • Sep 2009

removing rear nut on reversing gear.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
        • Nov 2004

Back end gasket question

Hello!

I need to replace the rearmost gasket on the rebuilt A4 I recently bought. The gasket was incorrectly installed, which caused the rear seal to leak. The gasket was actually slipped down blocking one of the six bolt holes that hold the output coupling to the aft housing. I thought I had a broken off bolt in there before I removed the other five bolts and pulled the output coupling away from the aft housing about one inch.

Do I need to remove the 1 and an eighth bolt just to change that gasket, or is there some sneaky way to get that gasket over the coupling? Can the gasket be in two pieces? Seems unlikely but thought I would inquire as there is a lot of work just to get that bolt off! Someone should make a stretchy gasket for such situations! Must I make or buy the output coupling holding tool and the output coupling installing tool just to replace the gasket? Doesn't look like removing the aft housing would help...?

By the way, the engine is on a stand in the garage, not in the boat. I am in the process of cleaning her up for painting.

Many thanks,
        Marty (Bowen Island, BC)
        Marty
        1967 Tartan 27
        Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
          • Nov 2004

sneak the gasket over?

After walking away from the engine for a while and looking again, I think I can sneak a new gasket over the coupling and the plate it is bolted to. No need to remove that big nut, if I am correct. Has anyone done that?

Sometimes I make life complicated!

-Marty
          Marty
          1967 Tartan 27
          Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

If you carefully cut the gasket and install with the slit near the top you might get away with it.

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Page 53 (Reverse Gear Group) on this link http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/atomic4.../partslist.pdf shows an exploded view of the area you are referring to. There are 2 (two) gaskets there. When I changed my rear oil seal I think I remember coating both sides of both gaskets with Permatex #2.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego
              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

I think Hanley has got it. I don't see how you're going to be able to slip the gasket over the round plate without slitting the gasket. I would also use Permatex if you're going to do that.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

I forgot the gasket, and think I already had the coupler on. I think it was "OK, well, that wasn't too bad...hey...what's this here leftover gasket!?!?!"

I was able to cut the gasket and do this. Liberal use of permatex helped to 'cover' my mistake. (I used #3 myself since it is a little thinner and is easy to apply to the gasket with the supplied brush)

-Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                    • Nov 2004

slit gasket

Thanks Guys - that really helps. Wondering if I might be safer if I use two gaskets slit at different points? Can't see there being a problem with that increased thickness?

-Marty
                    Marty
                    1967 Tartan 27
                    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Don't need two gaskets there. I'm still a bit confused about where your oil leak is though. The rear flange is a two piece system with two gaskets.
                      Which one was installed incorrectly?
                      "Jim"
                      S/V "Ahoi"
                      1967 Islander 29
                      Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                        • Nov 2004

oil leak

It was leaking from the furthest aft gasket...about 7" diameter.

thanks for all the advice!

-Marty
                        Marty
                        1967 Tartan 27
                        Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

It's advised that you coat the bolts with permatex #2 and use brass washers on the bottom 3 at least. The brass washers compress a bit and form a better seal against oil leakage.
                          "Jim"
                          S/V "Ahoi"
                          1967 Islander 29
                          Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

Working...
                          X