X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvd
    • Dec 2008

cooling system problem

I have raw water cooled a4. hadnt started the boat in a few months and no water coming out the back. took out the tstat and still no water. the water pump is pumping well. and yes the thru hull is open. as indicated i removed the hose from the water pump and it is pumping well.

any ideas
    Last edited by Administrator; 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM.
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Water issues are (usually) easily found. Working either from the exhaust back or the pump forward, take hoses off one at a time and find where the water stops.... There may be more than one restriction.

Pump forward - check pump outlet (you have). Check flow out of thermostat housing.... Check for flow out of the manifold.... Mixing elbow? What kind of exhaust do you have?
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• dvd
      • Dec 2008

I think it's a lift type

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

What Jeff said. I always start at the exit fitting at the rear of the manifold and work back toward the pump. Take the fitting right out and have a look-see down into that manifold chamber.

Comment

• dvd
          • Dec 2008

Water lift

Comment

• dvd
            • Dec 2008

It has a nipple on the top rear of the exhaust manifold. I should somehow unscrew that and look in side?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by dvd View Post
              It has a nipple on the top rear of the exhaust manifold. I should somehow unscrew that and look in side?
              Yes, that fitting is the most common culprit in situations like this.

Comment

• dvd
                • Dec 2008

I would like to covert it to sealed system but I don't think I have the clearance for it.

Comment

• dvd
                  • Dec 2008

Ok I'll pull that off and take a look. Thanks and I'll report my findings.

Comment

• dvd
                    • Dec 2008

Success

I removed the nipple on the top back part of the exhaust manifold. i stuck a small screwdriver into the hole and water started to pour out. It didn't look like it takes much to clog this up. Anyway put it back together and I have good water flow now. Thanks guys. This saved me alot of removing hoses and general trouble shooting as I probably would started at the water pump and would have looked at this last.

It's great to be able to pose questions like this and get good competent responses.

On a side note I was in the water today cleaning the bottom and a small fish took a chunk out of my nipple. It hurt pretty bad and bled a little. I guess it was just to tempting for a hungry fish.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

dvd
                      If the outlet water cooling fitting on the manifold has a 90 degree bend in it replace it with a straight barb if you have room on your boat.
                      My engine came with a 90 degree fitting on the manifold cooling outlet. After the sucker plugged up twice I replaced it with a straight barb. I've had no problems with the outlet plugging up since then.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• dvd
                        • Dec 2008

John

It has a straight barb. The clog was from rusty bit and pieces actually in the manifold that I could not get to with the about 2 inch barb screwed in.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X