• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillJ
    • Dec 2023

Second boat- first Atomic 4 !

Hello everyone and thank you!
    I’m 1/2 way finished going through everything on a “new to me” Atomic 4. At this point I’m not doing a full tear down until I have gotten this old engine running and determining how deep I need to go.
    My “new” boat is 1967 Columbia 29 MKII and I’m sorry to say she has been neglected for a number of years. Without any previous history or knowledge about the engine, I started with basic mechanics. Somebody loved this engine in the past as it has fresh water cooling, a Sendure heat exchanger, an antique Sendure raw water strainer, an electric fuel pump, an upright wet exhaust, and a water separator/fuel filter.
    I have pulled and rebuilt the Zenith carb, the Delco starter, both Jabsco water pumps, and cleaned out/up the heat exchanger. A new electric fuel pump with a new oil pressure safety switch and wiring, a new oil sending unit, thermostat, and new coolant hoses are already onboard and ready to install.
    The engine could be rotated by hand so I consider myself lucky to have a such good start. I look forward to getting her running and learning a lot from y’all as my A4 experience unfolds.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Do a compression check and block pressure test ASAP to know what you have.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

If your boat is a 1967 and you have a Delco starter it's a good bet you have a replacement engine. Sounds like you have the basics covered. Can you post us a video/audio when you get it running?

Comment

• WillJ
        • Dec 2023

Hey guys, just a quick update-

I have compression tested the cylinders twice (about a week between each test) and all 4 read between 110 and 120 psi. I think I’m ok there.

As far as to whether my engine is early or late, there are conflicting indicators. I have a Petronix distributor and my oil breather is mounted on the transmission plate. My carburetor is an early style Zenith 61 with an adjustable main jet with a T handle.
        On the other hand, the engine has fresh water cooling with a front mounted raw water pump running off of a pulley on the flywheel shaft. From what I can gather that modification requires converting to a different flywheel and housing and that flywheel would require a Delco/Remy starter to match the number of teeth.
        To complicate the ID, I have a late model cylinder head with the late model thermostat setup. Perhaps she’s a Frankenstein A4 with bits and pieces thrown together over 50 years.
        Either way, I’m determined to bring her back to life. I found the heat exchanger to be blown out which was depressing but fixable. The only system I have left to sort is electrical. The distributor has been converted to electronic ignition but the coil was questionable so I ordered and just received a new one from Moyer. Next, I’ll pull the distributor and go through it.
        Thanks for your input!!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Definitely a Frankenstein, C'mon, we're jonesin' for some pictures.

Comment

• WillJ
            • Dec 2023

Oops! Sorry! Prestolite Distributor.

Comment

• WillJ
              • Dec 2023

Carb ready to reinstall. New fuel pump moved away from engine heat. And new oil pressure sensor and switch for the fuel pump
              Attached Files

Comment

• WillJ
                • Dec 2023

Back of the alternator showing the raw water pump mount. Raw water pump showing the thermostat housing, the flywheel housing and the pulley. Starter rebuilt, painted and ready to be installed
                Attached Files

Comment

• WillJ
                  • Dec 2023

This is what I started with. Once I have her running I’ll clean out all the filth, dirt and old oily buildup.
                  Also a pic of the boat from several years ago. After mechanical/structural repairs I’ll start beautifying her!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• WillJ
                    • Dec 2023

When I get back to the boat after Xmas I’ll get better pictures. I’m not a very good photographer!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by WillJ View Post
                      When I get back to the boat after Xmas I’ll get better pictures. I’m not a very good photographer!
                      Pictures look good. Looks like your engine is mostly late, and some fine features at that. There is a serial number on the block if you're interested and you can determine the block, early or late. Have a great holiday.

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

This seems like it can break the nipple off. My switch and pressure sensor are remotely mounted.
                        Attached Files
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I have the filter, pressure sensor, and OPSS at the end of a flexible hose.
                          Attached Files
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                            I have the filter, pressure sensor, and OPSS at the end of a flexible hose.
                            Agreed. Always smart to move such items to a remote location off the (vibrating) engine. That includes coils and resistors.

Comment

• WillJ
                              • Dec 2023

Yes, I agree. I have already re-worked the oil pressure connections into a better temporary position; initially because they interfered with the heat exchanger mounting, but I’m still not happy where they are so I’ll take your advice and relocate both to a spot with less heat and vibration.
                              I’m headed back to the boat tomorrow morning to disassemble and clean up the distributor, swap out the coil, determine TDC and see if I can massage some life back into the old girl!

Comment

Working...
                              X