• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jm2fly
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2016

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
    jm2fly, As far as rigging goes, the corrosion of wire is 'usually' at deck level, and the top of the rig is pristine, except for all the bees & spiders. However, there can be failures at any point along the route, and I would want to check out spreaders/brackets, etc.

We also have salt water around here, which can rust even the best stainless to some degree (hence the issues with fittings at deck level..the rain keeps the others pretty clean and corrosion free.)

I am not a professional rigger by any means, but I've been up a few in my day.

Good luck and we'll be here to help you with the A-4!
    This is a fresh water boat in Lake Superior.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

jm2fly...understood. I may not have made that clear in my post. I think salt corrosion is the biggest issue with rigging. I am in brackish water, and about 75 miles from the ocean..the folks on the left coast or New England have it much worse than us. Again..I am not a professional, these are my own observations. Maybe it is not standard practice to climb the rig on a freshwater boat.

A fresh water boat has a lot less issues than a salt water boat!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

A professional survey includes a trip aloft, regardless of salinity.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Did you or the surveyor check the oil dipstick? This is real easy to do. If there is water in the oil back off on the purchase and let us know. It could be major or minor. We'll tell you what to do and how to do it next. ( A pressure test to determine if the water is in the oil due to a cracked block)

TRUE GRIT

Another thing you could do is have a diver check for play in the cutless bearing and any other monkey business going on under the boat. This is tricky to do in the water and may not work. The best boat area under water survey is done with the boat hauled out.

Comment

• Jm2fly
            Frequent Contributor
            • May 2016

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
            Did you or the surveyor check the oil dipstick? This is real easy to do. If there is water in the oil back off on the purchase and let us know. It could be major or minor. We'll tell you what to do and how to do it next. ( A pressure test to determine if the water is in the oil due to a cracked block)

TRUE GRIT

Another thing you could do is have a diver check for play in the cutless bearing and any other monkey business going on under the boat. This is tricky to do in the water and may not work. The best boat area under water survey is done with the boat hauled out.
            Yes we pulled the dipstick.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

FWIW

I learned early on that most surveyors are mostly working for insurance companies and when they look at a boat they are primarily interested in producing an insurability recommendation. That is not what most of us want. What you want most in a surveyor is "negative neutrality" - your instruction to him should go something like this - "Find out what is wrong with this boat and every reason why I should not buy it".

Comment

• toddster
                • Aug 2011

I dunno... 6 - 6.5 knots, wide open throttle, what we're hearing here is "everything turned up to eleven" and maybe a pinch beyond hull speed.

When my boat is operated like that, there is tremendous force on the rudder. Lots of potential for vibration from all sorts of things that might be loose.

It's impossible to know what we're really looking at here...

Comment

• Jm2fly
                  Frequent Contributor
                  • May 2016

Thanks for all your replies. We submitted a lower offer to account for this and a few other findings and hope to work it out soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X