• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Advice Needed on Engine Paint Prep

I'm getting ready to do a more thorough paint job on the engine than I've ever done. Already started brushing and cleaning surfaces with acetone. I want to prime first. Is it better to do the brush or aerosol can? What type and brand is best?
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Is the engine in or out of the boat? One can get paint on thicker with a brush. However on an irregular surface it would be a pain to avoid runs by brushing. If it were me I'd go with several light coats with a spray can waiting ~10 minutes between coats.
    You can't go wrong by using the primer recommended on the paint can or web site for the paint. This is usually the more expensive way to go though.

TRUE GRIT
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 05-07-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
      Is the engine in or out of the boat? One can get paint on thicker with a brush. However on an irregular surface it would be a pain to avoid runs by brushing. If it were me I'd go with several light coats with a spray can waiting ~10 minutes between coats.
      You can't go wrong by using the primer recommended on the paint can or web site for the paint. This is usually the more expensive way to go though.

TRUE GRIT
      Thanks, John. The engine is out of the boat on a table with accessories removed to be painted separately. In the past I have always just thrown a quick spray job on because I never really emphasized appearance, but after seeing so many beautiful jobs here on the Forum I want to step up.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Hi Hanley,
        My experience is that most paint jobs fail from the bottom up. The primer doesn't do it's job - fails to bond to the base metal or fails to protect the base metal. I have had good luck with the Interlux 2-part barrier coat, but it is a pain to mix in small quantities. Comes in gray or white. Another 2-part epoxy primer is the coal tar epoxy from Rustoleum - I haven't tried it but it might be easier to work with (but black only).

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

If you decide to use a 2 part paint or any other "exotic" paint\primer get the hang of using it on a piece of scrap metal before you put it on the engine.
          The "exotics" go on much differently than regular paint.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I would sand blast first.

Anyone have experience with POR 15?

Comment

Working...
            X